A catalytic converter is an important part of modern cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus matches modern pollution requirements. Nevertheless, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or malfunction, in which case a change or cleaning is essential. Today we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Jeep Cherokee? To achieve this, to begin with, we will explain the circumstances in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Jeep Cherokee, then, how to execute this cleaning to retrieve the overall performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Jeep Cherokee?
In this first section we will show you why it might be valuable to clean the catalyst of your Jeep Cherokee . Indeed for some of you it might seem obvious but the majority of you do not know how it functions and the outcomes dirty catalytic converter .
Purpose and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Jeep Cherokee
The catalytic converter of your Jeep Cherokee has the function to eliminate harmful exhaust fumes related to the operation of your engine unit. Indeed, it is one of the main elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Jeep Cherokee. It will transform these harmful gases into water or non-polluting fumes. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Jeep Cherokee a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can only work from 400°, it is consequently essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Jeep Cherokee. If you are considering making enough long travels to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will allow you to optimise the life of this part and maintain best engine unit effectiveness.
Outcomes of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Jeep Cherokee
We will now see what can be the outcomes of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Jeep Cherokee . This will allow you to detect the manifestations that should inform you to a breakdown of your catalytic converter, here is the list of symptoms of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Jeep Cherokee is blocked: As we explained earlier, if you make too short travels like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Jeep Cherokee may come on, do not think twice to consult our content page to identify how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will analyze the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will generally as well have complications.
- A metallic noise originating from the exhaust: In the event that the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Jeep Cherokee
Before we finish with the step you are probably most keen on, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Jeep Cherokee? We will show you why it might be relevant for you to execute this cleaning. Indeed, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can fluctuate according to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Jeep Cherokee?
Finally here is the step that you are probably most keen on in this content page, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Jeep Cherokee? Know that this process is very basic, and that there are two approaches to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Jeep Cherokee on a regular basis: This strategy is especially practical for people who specifically do short trips . To do so, nothing could be less difficult, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to enhance the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can find some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to verify that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can execute this process every 15 000km.
If you wish more tutorials on the Jeep Cherokee, go to our Jeep Cherokee category.