A catalytic converter is an essential component of recent cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus matches modern pollution specifications. However, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or malfunction, in which case a replace or cleaning is fundamental. Today we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Hyundai Tucson? To achieve this, first of all, we will show you the scenarios in which it may be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Hyundai Tucson, then, how to accomplish this cleaning to retrieve the effectiveness of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Hyundai Tucson?
In this first section we will explain why it may be beneficial to clean the catalyst of your Hyundai Tucson . Obviously for some of you it might seem obvious but the majority of you do not know how it functions and the consequences dirty catalytic converter .
Function and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Hyundai Tucson
The catalytic converter of your Hyundai Tucson has the task to eliminate harmful exhaust gases related to the process of your engine. Obviously, it is one of the main parts that fight against the pollution discharged by your Hyundai Tucson. It will convert these harmful gases into water or non-polluting gases. In order to convert these gases, the catalyst of your Hyundai Tucson a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can only work from 400°, it is therefore important to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Hyundai Tucson. If you are thinking of making adequately long journeys to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimize the life of this component and maintain ideal engine efficiency.
Consequences of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Hyundai Tucson
We will now see what can be the consequences of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Hyundai Tucson . This will enable you to identify the symptoms that should warn you to a malfunction of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Hyundai Tucson is blocked: As we explained above, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Hyundai Tucson may come on, do not think twice to seek advice from our content to find out how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will generally also have complications.
- A metallic noise coming from the exhaust: In the event the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which means that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Hyundai Tucson
Before we finish with the step you are almost certainly most curious about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Hyundai Tucson? We will explain why it may be important for you to perform this cleaning. Obviously, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can differ depending to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you may be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . At last, the last benefit is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Hyundai Tucson?
Finally here is the stage that you are probably most enthusiastic about in this article content, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Hyundai Tucson? Know that this procedure is very basic, and that there are two approaches to do it:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Hyundai Tucson regularly: This technique is specifically effective for persons who mainly do short trips . To do so, nothing could be less difficult, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to enhance the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can discover some in a motor vehicle center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel straight in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to examine that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the procedure. You can perform this procedure every 15 000km.
If you want more guides on the Hyundai Tucson, go to our Hyundai Tucson category.