A catalytic converter is an important part of modern cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus suits modern pollution requirements. However, it is possible that it may become clogged or breakdown, in which case a change or cleaning is fundamental. In this article we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Ford Ranger? To achieve this, to begin with, we will explain the situations in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Ford Ranger, then, how to conduct this cleaning to retrieve the efficiency of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Ford Ranger?
In this first section we will teach you why it might be valuable to clean the catalyst of your Ford Ranger . In fact for some of you it may seem logical but most of you do not know how it works and the consequences dirty catalytic converter .
Function and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Ford Ranger
The catalytic converter of your Ford Ranger has the goal to get rid of harmful exhaust gases associated with the operation of your engine. In fact, it is one of the main elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Ford Ranger. It will transform these harmful gases into water or non-polluting gases. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Ford Ranger a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is therefore essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Ford Ranger. If you are considering making adequately long travels to heat it up repeatedly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimize the life of this element and maintain ideal engine overall performance.
Consequences of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Ford Ranger
We will now find out what can be the consequences of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Ford Ranger . This will enable you to detect the symptoms that should warn you to a malfunction of your catalytic converter, here is the list of symptoms of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Ford Ranger is blocked: As we stated earlier, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Ford Ranger may come on, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content to identify how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will often as well have complications.
- A metallic noise coming from the exhaust: In the event the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which means that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Ford Ranger
Before we accomplish with the step you are almost certainly most interested in, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Ford Ranger? We will teach you why it might be important for you to carry out this cleaning. In fact, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can differ depending to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last benefit is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it repeatedly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Ford Ranger?
Finally here is the step that you are probably most enthusiastic about in this content page, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Ford Ranger? Know that this procedure is very very easy, and that there are two techniques to do it:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Ford Ranger frequently: This approach is specifically valuable for persons who specifically do short trips . To do so, nothing could be easier, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can find some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel straight in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go repeatedly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to examine that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the procedure. You can carry out this procedure every 15 000km.
To discover more tips on the Ford Ranger, take a look at the Ford Ranger category.