A catalytic converter is a vital component of contemporary cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus fulfills modern pollution standards. However, it is possible that it may become clogged or breakdown, in which circumstance a replace or cleaning is essential. In this article we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Ford Focus? To achieve this, first of all, we will show you the circumstances in which it may be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Ford Focus, then, how to carry out this cleaning to recover the effectiveness of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Ford Focus?
In this first part we will describe why it may be necessary to clean the catalyst of your Ford Focus . In fact for some of you it may seem obvious but most of you do not know how it functions and the results dirty catalytic converter .
Purpose and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Ford Focus
The catalytic converter of your Ford Focus has the goal to get rid of harmful exhaust gases related to the procedure of your engine unit. In fact, it is one of the main components that fight against the pollution discharged by your Ford Focus. It will transform these harmful gases into water or nonpolluting gases. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Ford Focus a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is consequently important to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Ford Focus. If you are considering making sufficiently long travels to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will allow you to optimise the life of this part and maintain ideal engine unit overall performance.
Consequences of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Ford Focus
We will now see what can be the results of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Ford Focus . This will allow you to establish the manifestations that should notify you to a breakdown of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Ford Focus is blocked: As we explained earlier, if you make too short trips like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Ford Focus may come on, do not hesitate to consult our content to find out how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will analyze the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will more often than not also have problems.
- A metallic noise caused by the exhaust: In case the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Ford Focus
Before we end with the step you are likely most interested in, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Ford Focus? We will describe why it may be relevant for you to carry out this cleaning. In fact, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can differ depending to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you may be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . At last, the last benefit is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Ford Focus?
Finally here is the step that you are probably most enthusiastic about in this article content, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Ford Focus? Know that this process is very basic, and that there are two techniques to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Ford Focus regularly: This technique is specifically beneficial for people who mainly do short trips . To do this, nothing could be less complicated, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to optimize the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can discover some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and later on do an exhaust gas analysis to examine that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can carry out this process every 15 000km.
To get more tips on the Ford Focus, take a look at the Ford Focus category.