A catalytic converter is an important part of contemporary cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus matches modern pollution specifications. However, it is possible that it may become clogged or breakdown, in which case a change or cleaning is essential. In this article we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Chevrolet Equinox? To get this done, to begin with, we will show you the circumstances in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Equinox, then, how to accomplish this cleaning to retrieve the effectiveness of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Equinox?
In this first section we will describe why it might be important to clean the catalyst of your Chevrolet Equinox . In truth for some of you it might seem logical but the majority of you do not know how it functions and the outcomes dirty catalytic converter .
Purpose and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Chevrolet Equinox
The catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Equinox has the objective to eliminate harmful exhaust gases related to the process of your engine. In truth, it is one of the most important elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Chevrolet Equinox. It will transform these harmful gases into water or non-polluting gases. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Chevrolet Equinox a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is therefore important to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Equinox. If you are thinking of making adequately long journeys to heat it up frequently (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will allow you to optimize the life of this element and preserve ideal engine performance.
Results of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Chevrolet Equinox
We will now see what can be the outcomes of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Chevrolet Equinox . This will allow you to detect the manifestations that should warn you to a breakdown of your catalytic converter, here is the list of symptoms of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Equinox is clogged: As we stated above, if you make too short trips like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Chevrolet Equinox may come on, do not think twice to seek advice from our content page to find out how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will analyze the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will generally as well have complications.
- A metallic noise originating from the exhaust: In the event that the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which results in that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Equinox
Before we accomplish with the step you are probably most enthusiastic about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Chevrolet Equinox? We will describe why it might be important for you to accomplish this cleaning. In truth, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can differ according to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last benefit is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it frequently will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Chevrolet Equinox?
Finally here is the stage that you are probably most enthusiastic about in this content page, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Equinox? Know that this procedure is very simple, and that there are two approaches to do it:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Chevrolet Equinox regularly: This technique is especially beneficial for persons who mainly do short trips . To do so, nothing could be easier, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to optimize the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can locate some in a motor vehicle center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go frequently at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to examine that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can accomplish this process every 15 000km.
To find more tips on the Chevrolet Equinox, take a look at the Chevrolet Equinox category.