No matter if it’s for your personal safety, for roadworthiness tests or to prevent a fine, ensuring that your turn signal bulbs are always working is fundamental. Indeed, bulbs are wearing auto parts that will inevitably burn out as time passes and therefore need to be swapped out. You’re most certainly here because one of your rear turn signals is burnt out and you’re attempting to find how to change the bulb of a rear turn signal on you Volkswagen Up!, we’ve written this content to teach you do it on your own without having to go to your motor mechanic. To begin , we will examine inspecting a burnt-out rear turn signal bulb on your Volkswagen Up! and in a second part, how to replace the rear turn signal bulb on your Volkswagen Up!.
How do you know if the rear turn signal bulb on your Volkswagen Up! is burnt-out or needs to be changed?
When you drive your vehicle you don’t always have the possibility to examine all the safety features of your Volkswagen Up!. Indeed, you are more often than not in a rush and are likely to get into your vehicle, make your trip and put it down straight away without taking the time to do an occasional check-up. It is therefore important to take the time to on occasions examine the condition of your headlights and turn signals. It’s quite possible that you have a burnt-out rear turn signal on your Volkswagen Up!, but you didn’t detect it. Here are the two ordinary solutions to examine if a rear turn signal on your car is out of order or if you need to replace it fairly quickly:
- When you stop, turn on the ignition on your Volkswagen Up!, then alternately turn on your left and right rear turn signals and get out of the car to examine that they are operational.
- By paying attention to the sound of your turn signals. In actual fact, there is an audible signal on each car that alerts you of a rear turn signal bulb burnt out on your Volkswagen Up!, you will recognise that the time between each “click” is much shorter, this suggests that that you will have to replace the rear turn signal bulb or before. It’s up to you to examine and validate which one is burnt out by a visual check as on the first approach shown above.
You may have another bulb to replace, like the one of your low beam Volkswagen Up! or your position lights on Volkswagen Up!, don’t be reluctant to browse our articles to help you to achieve this substitution.
Replacing the rear turn signal bulb on my Volkswagen Up!
Now let’s go to the most instersting part of this content, how to replace the rear turn signal bulb on Volkswagen Up!? Please be aware that this technique is quite easy, you will need to access, from the inside of your trunk, your headlight unit, open it and change the burnt out rear turn signal bulb on your car. If it is a bulb on your front turn signal on your Volkswagen Up!, see our specific content page. On the other hand, here are the detailed description to carry out to be able to carry out this act properly:
- To access the tail light set up, take out the carpeting or plastic cover to access the tail light assembly.
- Use a screwdriver or torx wrench (6-pointed star) to open the tail light assembly.
- Take off the rear indicator bulb from your burnt-out turn signal that you have previously diagnosed by an external visual inspection, for this you will need to make a quarter turn in a counter-clockwise way
- Change the rear turn signal bulb on your Volkswagen Up!. There are two types of bulbs, transparent bulbs when the cover is orange, or orange bulbs when the cover is transparent, choose the right model for your car
- Put back in place your rear turn signal bulb and close your tail light block, then, examine your new turn signal bulb is operating properly
If you wish more tutorials on the Volkswagen Up!, go to our Volkswagen Up! category.