Regardless it’s for your personal security, for roadworthiness tests or to avoid a fine, being certain your headlamp bulbs are always functioning is fundamental. Indeed, bulbs are wearing auto parts that will undoubtedly burn out with time and as a consequence need to be replaced. You’re perhaps in this article because one of your parking lights is burnt out and you’re questioning how to change your Volkswagen Polo 4’s license plate bulb, we’ve written this document to help you do it on your own and not have to go to your mechanic. Firstly, we will look at changing the license plate bulb from the outside, secondly, how to change the license plate bulb without outside access, and thirdly, how to change the rear license plate bulb of your Volkswagen Polo 4.
How to replace the license plate bulb on your Volkswagen Polo 4 throughout the outside
This solution is the least difficult of the two, in truth, for this one you will only have to take out the protective covers of the bulbs. Regrettably on some years or packages of car these covers do not open from the outside and if this is the situation we will dedicate some time on in the second section of this content page to explain the approach.
So let’s start with changing the number plate bulb by going through the outside of your Volkswagen Polo 4. Regardless it’s the front or the back of your car the process will be similar.
Here are a few simple actions to stick to to perform this maintenance:
- With the engine off, unplug the battery terminals from your car
- Position yourself in front of your license plate and use a flat screwdriver or knife to insert the flat part into the notch assigned for this goal (almost always on the transparent cover) and lever on the plastic window to open the license plate bulb slot of your Volkswagen Polo 4
- Use your screwdriver or knife to remove the bulb from its placement, if you are afraid of damaging anything, you can also do it with your fingers.
- Finally, put the new license plate light bulb
- Last step, before reassembling, reconnect your battery and test the light to validate the success of the procedure.
How to change the number plate bulb on your Volkswagen Polo 4 without outside access
Second section of our document, swap this license plate bulb on your Volkswagen Polo 4 without external access. Most often you will be able to access it, however some series (often at the rear does not allow this access).
How to replace the front license plate bulb on my Volkswagen Polo 4
To replace the one on the front plate, nothing could be less difficult, you will have to put yourself under the car (ideally positioned on candles to give you some space), and, going through the rear of the bumper, you will have to unclip the license plate bulb block, almost always held by two soft plastic tabs by pressing on both at the same time, then now that you have your license plate bulb block in hand, Take away the plastic that operates as a seal, then with a thin screwdriver, on one side you will find a small notch, use a lever to open the plastic cover (be attentive not to exert too much force or you will break the plastic cover), and you will just have to take out the burnt-out license plate bulb and change it with the new , then verify and reassemble the whole thing.
How to replace the rear license plate bulb on my Volkswagen Polo 4
Finally last solution, you must replace the bulb on the backplate of your Volkswagen Polo 4, but you simply cannot open the cover from the outside of your car. In such a case, here is the technique to do this task:
- Unplug the battery from your Volkswagen Polo 4
- Identify the spot of your light bulbs from the outside.
- From the inside of the trunk, you have to remove the lining of the trunk, held by clips, you will have to lever gently on all the frame of the trunk to remove it.
- Once found, before removing the bulb holders, unplug the holders for less difficult access.
- Using a screwdriver, lever the two plastic parts to remove the bulb holder
- Replace the burnt-out license plate bulb on your Volkswagen Polo 4, test it and reassemble it, paying attention to the clips on the trunk liner
There you have it, you have discovered the main approaches for changing license plate bulbs on your car, take note that on some models the technique may be a bit different but you should be able to do it following the explanation of this article. If you can’t do it, don’t hesitate to go to your workshop it would be a shame to break a part of your Volkswagen Polo 4. If you want to change other bulbs like the position light bulbs on your Volkswagen Polo 4 or the low beam bulbs on Volkswagen Polo 4, don’t hesitate to read our content articles which demonstrate you the operation to follow.
If you need more tutorials on the Volkswagen Polo 4, go to our Volkswagen Polo 4 category.