It doesn’t matter if it’s for your personal safety, for roadworthiness testing or to avoid a fine, being certain your headlamp bulbs are always operational is very important. Indeed, bulbs are wearing parts that will predictably burn out after some time and as a consequence need to be swapped out. You’re likely in this article because one of your parking lights is burnt out and you’re questioning how to change your Volkswagen Golf’s license plate bulb, we’ve created this content page to help you do it all on your own and not have to go to your mechanic. Firstly, we will examine changing the license plate bulb from the outside, secondly, how to change the license plate bulb without outside access, and thirdly, how to change the rear license plate bulb of your Volkswagen Golf.
How to replace the license plate bulb on your Volkswagen Golf through the outside
This method is the simplest of the two, in truth, for this one you will only require to take out the protective covers of the bulbs. Sadly on some years or packages of car these covers do not open from the outside and if this is the situation we will spend some time on in the second section of this article to show you the method.
So let’s start with changing the number plate bulb by going through the outside of your Volkswagen Golf. It doesn’t matter if it’s the front or the back of your car the method will be the same.
Here are a few simple actions to stick to to perform this service:
- With the engine turned off, unplug the battery terminals from your car
- Face your license plate and use a flat screwdriver or knife to place the flat part into the notch assigned for this intent (almost always on the transparent cover) and lever on the plastic window to open the license plate bulb slot of your Volkswagen Golf
- Use your screwdriver or knife to eject the bulb from its placement, in the event you are afraid of breaking something, you can also do it with your fingers.
- Finally, position the new license plate light bulb
- Last stage, before reassembling, reconnect your battery and check the light to validate the successfulness of the procedure.
How to replace the number plate bulb on your Volkswagen Golf without outside access
Second section of our document, swap this license plate bulb on your Volkswagen Golf without external access. Most often you will be able to access it, but some series (often at the rear does not allow this access).
How to replace the front license plate bulb on my Volkswagen Golf
To replace the one on the front plate, nothing could be less complicated, you will have to position yourself under the car (ideally positioned on candles to give you some space), and, going through the rear of the bumper, you will have to unclip the license plate bulb block, almost always held by two soft plastic tabs by pressing on both simultaneously, then now that you have your license plate bulb block in hand, Take off the plastic that works as a seal, then with a thin screwdriver, on one side you will find a small notch, use a lever to open the plastic cover (be careful not to apply too much pressure or you will break the plastic cover), and you will just have to take out the burnt-out license plate bulb and replace it with the new , then test out and reassemble the whole thing.
How to replace the rear license plate bulb on my Volkswagen Golf
Finally last option, you must replace the bulb on the backplate of your Volkswagen Golf, but you cannot really open the cover from the outside of your car. In this case, here is the technique to execute this task:
- Disconnect the battery from your Volkswagen Golf
- Find the spot of your light bulbs from the outside.
- From the inside of the trunk, you have to remove the lining of the trunk, held by clips, you will have to lever carefully on all the frame of the trunk to remove it.
- Once found, before removing the bulb holders, unplug the holders for less complicated access.
- Using a screwdriver, lever the two plastic parts to remove the bulb holder
- Change the burnt-out license plate bulb on your Volkswagen Golf, check it and reassemble it, watching the clips on the trunk liner
There you have it, you have found out the main tactics for changing license plate bulbs on your car, take note that on some models the method may be a bit different but you should be able to do it following the explanation of this content. If you can’t do it, don’t be reluctant to go to your garage it would be a shame to break a part of your Volkswagen Golf. If you wish to change other bulbs like the position light bulbs on your Volkswagen Golf or the low beam bulbs on Volkswagen Golf, don’t be reluctant to consult our content articles which demonstrate you the procedure to follow.
If you want more guides on the Volkswagen Golf, go to our Volkswagen Golf category.