Whether it’s for your own personal safety, for roadworthiness testing or to avoid a fine, being sure your headlamp bulbs are constantly functioning is really important. In fact, bulbs are wearing parts that will surely burn out as time passes and consequently need to be swapped out. You’re probably on the website because one of your parking lights is burnt out and you’re questioning how to change your Mercedes Benz GL Class’s license plate bulb, we’ve made this content page to help you do it by yourself and not have to go to your auto technician. Firstly, we will look at changing the license plate bulb from the outside, secondly, how to change the license plate bulb without outside access, and thirdly, how to change the rear license plate bulb of your Mercedes Benz GL Class.
How to replace the license plate bulb on your Mercedes Benz GL Class coming from the outside
This tactic is the quickest of the two, in fact, for this one you will simply require to take away the protective covers of the bulbs. Sadly on some years or packages of car these covers do not open from the outside and if this is the situation we will dedicate a moment on in the second part of this content to clarify the way.
So let’s begin with replacing the number plate bulb by going through the outside of your Mercedes Benz GL Class. Whether it’s the front or the back of your car the operation will be the same.
Here are a few simple steps to stick to to perform this maintenance tasks:
- With the engine off, disconnect the battery terminals from your car
- Face your license plate and use a flat screwdriver or knife to insert the flat part into the notch supplied for this intent (generally on the transparent cover) and lever on the plastic window to open the license plate bulb slot of your Mercedes Benz GL Class
- Use your screwdriver or knife to remove the bulb from its placement, in the event that you are afraid of damaging anything, you can also do it with your fingers.
- Finally, put the new license plate light bulb
- Last stage, before reassembling, reconnect your battery and test the light to confirm the successfulness of the task.
How to replace the number plate bulb on your Mercedes Benz GL Class without outside access
Second part of our document, replace this license plate bulb on your Mercedes Benz GL Class without external access. Generally you will be able to access it, but some series (often at the rear does not allow this access).
How to replace the front license plate bulb on my Mercedes Benz GL Class
To replace the one on the front plate, nothing could be less hard, you will have to put yourself under the car (ideally placed on candles to give you some space), and, going through the rear of the bumper, you will have to unclip the license plate bulb block, generally kept by two soft plastic tabs by pressing on both at the same time, then right after you have your license plate bulb block in hand, Take off the plastic that acts as a seal, then with a thin screwdriver, on one side you will find a small notch, use a lever to open the plastic cover (be mindful not to exert too much force otherwise you will break the plastic cover), and you will only have to take away the burnt-out license plate bulb and replace it with the new , then test out and reassemble the whole thing.
How to replace the rear license plate bulb on my Mercedes Benz GL Class
Finally last option, you must replace the bulb on the backplate of your Mercedes Benz GL Class, but you simply cannot open the cover from the outside of your car. In such a case, here is the process to carry out this task:
- Unplug the battery from your Mercedes Benz GL Class
- Find the location of your light bulbs from the outside.
- From the inside of the trunk, you have to remove the lining of the trunk, kept by clips, you will have to lever carefully on all the frame of the trunk to remove it.
- Once located, before removing the bulb holders, disconnect the holders for less complicated access.
- Using a screwdriver, lever the two plastic parts to remove the bulb holder
- Change the burnt-out license plate bulb on your Mercedes Benz GL Class, test it and reassemble it, paying attention to the clips on the trunk liner
There you have it, you have found out the main methods for replacing license plate bulbs on your car, bear in mind that on some models the methodology may be a bit different but you should be able to do it following the explanation of this content page. If you can’t do it, don’t hesitate to go to your mechanic it would be a shame to break a part of your Mercedes Benz GL Class. If you desire to change other bulbs like the position light bulbs on your Mercedes Benz GL Class or the low beam bulbs on Mercedes Benz GL Class, don’t hesitate to read our articles which explain you the procedure to follow.
To discover more tips on the Mercedes Benz GL Class, take a look at the Mercedes Benz GL Class category.