Whether it’s for your own security, for roadworthiness testing or to avoid a fine, being sure your headlamp bulbs are all the time working is fundamental. Indeed, bulbs are wearing auto parts that will obviously burn out over time and therefore need to be swapped out. You’re perhaps on this site because one of your parking lights is burnt out and you’re worried about how to change your BMW X5’s license plate bulb, we’ve created this article content to help you do it without any help and not have to go to your motor mechanic. Firstly, we will look at changing the license plate bulb from the outside, secondly, how to change the license plate bulb without outside access, and thirdly, how to change the rear license plate bulb of your BMW X5.
How to swap the license plate bulb on your BMW X5 through the outside
This technique is the fastest of the two, actually, for this one you will only require to take away the protective covers of the bulbs. Sadly on some years or packages of car these covers do not open from the outside and if this is the case we will dedicate some time on in the second section of this content page to describe the way.
So let’s begin with changing the number plate bulb by going through the outside of your BMW X5. Whether it’s the front or the back of your motor vehicle the procedure will be the same.
Here are a few simple actions to follow to perform this service:
- With the engine turned off, unplug the battery terminals from your car
- Face your license plate and use a flat screwdriver or knife to insert the flat part into the notch specified for this purpose (in most cases on the transparent cover) and lever on the plastic window to open the license plate bulb slot of your BMW X5
- Use your screwdriver or knife to eject the bulb from its location, if you are afraid of damaging anything, you can also do it with your fingers.
- Finally, position the new license plate light bulb
- Last stage, before reassembling, reconnect your battery and test the light to confirm the success of the task.
How to change the number plate bulb on your BMW X5 without outside access
Second section of our article, swap this license plate bulb on your BMW X5 without external access. In most cases you will be able to access it, nevertheless some series (often at the rear does not allow this access).
How to swap the front license plate bulb on my BMW X5
To swap the one on the front plate, nothing could be much easier, you will have to position yourself under the motor vehicle (ideally put on candles to give you some space), and, going through the rear of the bumper, you will have to unclip the license plate bulb block, in most cases held by two soft plastic tabs by pressing on both at the same time, then once you have your license plate bulb block in hand, Take off the plastic that acts as a seal, then with a thin screwdriver, on one side you will find a small notch, use a lever to open the plastic cover (be careful not to apply too much pressure or you will break the plastic cover), and you will only have to take away the burnt-out license plate bulb and change it with the new , then test out and reassemble the whole thing.
How to swap the rear license plate bulb on my BMW X5
Finally last possibility, you must swap the bulb on the backplate of your BMW X5, but you cannot open the cover from the outside of your motor vehicle. In such a case, here is the tactic to perform this task:
- Disconnect the battery from your BMW X5
- Identify the location of your light bulbs from the outside.
- From the inside of the trunk, you have to remove the lining of the trunk, held by clips, you will have to lever gently on all the frame of the trunk to remove it.
- Once found, before removing the bulb holders, unplug the holders for much easier access.
- Using a screwdriver, lever the two plastic parts to remove the bulb holder
- Change the burnt-out license plate bulb on your BMW X5, test it and reassemble it, watching the clips on the trunk liner
There you have it, you have learned the main solutions for changing license plate bulbs on your car, bear in mind that on some models the method may be a bit different but you should be able to accomplish it following the explanation of this article content. If you can’t do it, don’t be reluctant to go to your workshop it would be a shame to break a part of your BMW X5. If you desire to change other bulbs like the position light bulbs on your BMW X5 or the low beam bulbs on BMW X5, don’t be reluctant to consult our articles which describe you the procedure to follow.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the BMW X5, do not hesitate to consult our BMW X5 category.