Regardless whether it’s for your own personal safety, for roadworthiness tests or to avoid a fine, being sure your headlamp bulbs are always functional is necessary. Indeed, bulbs are wearing auto parts that will surely burn out over the years and consequently need to be replaced. You’re quite likely here because one of your parking lights is burnt out and you’re questioning how to change your Audi A4’s license plate bulb, we’ve made this article content to help you do it on your own and not have to go to your motor mechanic. Firstly, we will take a look at changing the license plate bulb from the outside, secondly, how to replace the license plate bulb without outside access, and thirdly, how to replace the rear license plate bulb of your Audi A4.
How to change the license plate bulb on your Audi A4 coming from the outside
This tactic is the least difficult of the two, in fact, for this one you will simply require to take out the protective covers of the bulbs. Regrettably on some years or packages of car these covers do not open from the outside and if this is the situation we will take a moment on in the second part of this content to teach you the way.
So let’s begin with swapping the number plate bulb by going through the outside of your Audi A4. Regardless whether it’s the front or the back of your vehicle the procedure will be the same.
Here are a few simple actions to follow to execute this maintenance:
- With the engine off, unplug the battery terminals from your car
- Face your license plate and use a flat screwdriver or knife to place the flat part into the notch specified for this purpose (commonly on the transparent cover) and lever on the plastic window to open the license plate bulb slot of your Audi A4
- Use your screwdriver or knife to eject the bulb from its location, in the event that you are afraid of damaging a thing, you can as well do it with your fingers.
- Finally, put the new license plate light bulb
- Last stage, before reassembling, reconnect your battery and verify the light to validate the successfulness of the process.
How to change the number plate bulb on your Audi A4 without outside access
Second part of our content, change this license plate bulb on your Audi A4 without external access. Most often you will be able to access it, but some series (often at the rear does not allow this access).
How to change the front license plate bulb on my Audi A4
To change the one on the front plate, nothing could be less difficult, you will have to put yourself under the vehicle (ideally placed on candles to give you some space), and, going through the rear of the bumper, you will have to unclip the license plate bulb block, commonly kept by two soft plastic tabs by pressing on both at once, then right after you have your license plate bulb block in hand, Take away the plastic that acts as a seal, then with a thin screwdriver, on one side you will find a small notch, use a lever to open the plastic cover (be careful not to apply too much force otherwise you will break the plastic cover), and you will only have to take out the burnt-out license plate bulb and change it with the new , then check and reassemble the whole thing.
How to change the rear license plate bulb on my Audi A4
Finally last solution, you must change the bulb on the backplate of your Audi A4, but you simply cannot open the cover from the outside of your vehicle. In this instance, here is the approach to carry out this operation:
- Unplug the battery from your Audi A4
- Identify the location of your light bulbs from the outside.
- From the inside of the trunk, you have to remove the lining of the trunk, kept by clips, you will have to lever carefully on all the frame of the trunk to remove it.
- Once located, before removing the bulb holders, unplug the holders for less difficult access.
- Using a screwdriver, lever the two plastic parts to remove the bulb holder
- Change the burnt-out license plate bulb on your Audi A4, verify it and reassemble it, paying attention to the clips on the trunk liner
There you have it, you have learned the main techniques for swapping license plate bulbs on your car, take note that on some models the method may be a bit different but you should be able to accomplish it following the outline of this article. If you can’t do it, don’t hesitate to go to your mechanic it would be a shame to break a part of your Audi A4. If you want to change other bulbs like the position light bulbs on your Audi A4 or the low beam bulbs on Audi A4, don’t hesitate to consult our content articles which describe you the procedure to follow.
To find more tips on the Audi A4, take a look at the Audi A4 category.