Some maintenance actions such as changing the engine oil may seem obvious and very important, while others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Toyota FJ Cruiser may seem to be less automatic. However, make no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as important as changing the engine oil. This article will describe the role of the gearbox oil, then, why it is important to replace the gearbox of your Toyota FJ Cruiser, and at last, how to replace the gearbox oil of a Toyota FJ Cruiser .
Purpose of gearbox oil on a Toyota FJ Cruiser
So we begin our article with the role of gearbox oil on a Toyota FJ Cruiser. The objective of this short introduction is to make you understand the interest of this fluid which assures the good working of your motor vehicle. The gearbox of your car has the objective to demultiply the power transferred by the engine and send it back to your wheels . It is made up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will work with the help of an axle and a differential. All these auto parts will need to be firmly lubricate to action accurately, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures produced by the engine and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is fundamental to the proper functioning of the gearbox.
Why replacing the gearbox oil from a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
Now we’ll find out what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Toyota FJ Cruiser?
Benefit of gearbox oil changing Toyota FJ Cruiser
There are several concerns to replace the gearbox of your motor vehicle frequently, we will list them and outline them below:
- Over time, the oil will lose its viscosity due to friction and temperature rise, which will bring about less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will decrease the oil resistance to the engine temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, even if you always have a quality oil, a gearbox is an element that wears out and releases iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it gathers up too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil replace on a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
If you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Toyota FJ Cruiser or strong> the process is not similar, however, dealers do not give mileage suggestions to replace the oil in your gearbox, on the other hand when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is wise to replace it, in any other case here are the factors to make you take into consideration doing this oil replace.
Oil replace for manual gearbox Toyota FJ Cruiser
- Gears are jumping: you are probably missing oil and you might have a gearbox oil leak, please find out our content page on gearbox leaks on Toyota FJ Cruiser for more info.
- The gearbox cracks when you switch gears: The oil has undoubtedly lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same problem as just before, the oil is undoubtedly too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil replace
- A slow begin from the neutral position to the first one: quite often a viscosity problem.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to replace gearbox oil of a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
Finally, to conclude this content page, we will describe you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Toyota FJ Cruiser , it’s less difficult than you might presume, here are the few steps to follow to do it accurately:
- Heat your Toyota FJ Cruiser for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will probably collect filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Replace and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s recommended dose
To get more tips on the Toyota FJ Cruiser, take a look at the Toyota FJ Cruiser category.