Some maintenance actions such as changing the engine oil might seem obvious and essential, while others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Mercedes Benz M Class may seem to be less natural. However, produce no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as important as changing the engine oil. This article will show you the purpose of the gearbox oil, then, why it is essential to replace the gearbox of your Mercedes Benz M Class, and finally, how to replace the gearbox oil of a Mercedes Benz M Class .
Function of gearbox oil on a Mercedes Benz M Class
So we begin our article with the purpose of gearbox oil on a Mercedes Benz M Class. The objective of this short introduction is to produce you understand the benefit of this fluid which guarantees the good performance of your motor vehicle. The gearbox of your car has the mission to demultiply the power transferred by the engine and send it back to your wheels . It is done up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will work with the help of an axle and a differential. All these auto parts will need to be highly lubricate to objective correctly, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures produced by the engine and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is important to the proper performing of the gearbox.
Why changing the gearbox oil from a Mercedes Benz M Class?
Now we’ll discover what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Mercedes Benz M Class?
Benefit of gearbox oil changing Mercedes Benz M Class
There are some interests to replace the gearbox of your motor vehicle frequently, we will list them and detail them below:
- As time passes, the oil will lose its viscosity caused by friction and temperature rise, which will lead to less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will lower the oil resistance to the engine temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, regardless if you constantly have a quality oil, a gearbox is an element that wears out and creates iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it gathers up too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil replace on a Mercedes Benz M Class?
Whether you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Mercedes Benz M Class or strong> the process is not the same, however, dealers do not give mileage recommendations to replace the oil in your gearbox, however when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is wise to replace it, otherwise here are the causes to produce you think about doing this oil replace.
Oil replace for manual gearbox Mercedes Benz M Class
- Gears are jumping: you are most likely missing oil and you may possibly have a gearbox oil leak, please discover our article on gearbox leaks on Mercedes Benz M Class for more info.
- The gearbox cracks when you switch gears: The oil has undoubtedly lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same problem as just before, the oil is undoubtedly too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil replace
- A slow begin from the neutral position to the first one: generally a viscosity problem.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to replace gearbox oil of a Mercedes Benz M Class?
Finally, to end this article, we will show you you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Mercedes Benz M Class , it’s easier than you might presume, here are the few guidelines to stick to to do it correctly:
- Heat your Mercedes Benz M Class for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will most likely gather filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Replace and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s suggested dose
If you wish more guides on the Mercedes Benz M Class, go to our Mercedes Benz M Class category.