Some maintenance actions such as changing the engine unit oil may seem evident and fundamental, although others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Lincoln MKX may appear to be less automatic. Nevertheless, make no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as necessary as changing the engine unit oil. This content page will describe the function of the gearbox oil, then, why it is necessary to change the gearbox of your Lincoln MKX, and finally, how to change the gearbox oil of a Lincoln MKX .
Purpose of gearbox oil on a Lincoln MKX
So we start our content page with the function of gearbox oil on a Lincoln MKX. The objective of this short introduction is to make you understand the interest of this fluid which assures the good performing of your motor vehicle. The gearbox of your car has the objective to demultiply the power transmitted by the engine unit and send it back to your wheels . It is done up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will function with the help of an axle and a differential. All these auto parts will need to be strongly lubricate to objective properly, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures built by the engine unit and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is important to the correct performing of the gearbox.
Why changing the gearbox oil from a Lincoln MKX?
Now we’ll discover what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Lincoln MKX?
Benefit of gearbox oil changing Lincoln MKX
There are some concerns to change the gearbox of your motor vehicle regularly, we will list them and outline them below:
- After a while, the oil will lose its viscosity because of friction and temperature rise, which will cause less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will decrease the oil resistance to the engine unit temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, regardless if you constantly have a quality oil, a gearbox is an element that wears out and creates iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it accumulates too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil change on a Lincoln MKX?
Whether you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Lincoln MKX or strong> the procedure is not similar, however, dealers do not give mileage suggestions to change the oil in your gearbox, nevertheless when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is advisable to change it, otherwise here are the reasons to make you take into consideration doing this oil change.
Oil change for manual gearbox Lincoln MKX
- Gears are jumping: you are almost certainly missing oil and you may possibly have a gearbox oil leak, please discover our content page on gearbox leaks on Lincoln MKX for more information.
- The gearbox cracks when you switch gears: The oil has certainly lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same problem as just before, the oil is most certainly too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil change
- A slow start from the neutral position to the first one: quite often a viscosity problem.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to change gearbox oil of a Lincoln MKX?
At last, to conclude this content page, we will describe you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Lincoln MKX , it’s easier than you might presume, here are the few steps to stick to to do it properly:
- Heat your Lincoln MKX for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will almost certainly collect filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Replace and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s recommended dose
If you wish more tutorials on the Lincoln MKX, go to our Lincoln MKX category.