Some maintenance actions such as changing the engine unit oil may seem evident and important, while others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Jeep Liberty may appear to be less automatic. However, produce no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as important as changing the engine unit oil. This article content will describe the role of the gearbox oil, then, why it is vital to change the gearbox of your Jeep Liberty, and at last, how to change the gearbox oil of a Jeep Liberty .
Function of gearbox oil on a Jeep Liberty
So we start our article content with the role of gearbox oil on a Jeep Liberty. The objective of this short introduction is to produce you understand the interest of this fluid which assures the good functioning of your motor vehicle. The gearbox of your car has the objective to demultiply the power transferred by the engine unit and send it back to your wheels . It is made up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will function with the help of an axle and a differential. All these parts will need to be strongly lubricate to objective properly, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures produced by the engine unit and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is fundamental to the proper functioning of the gearbox.
Why changing the gearbox oil from a Jeep Liberty?
Now we’ll discover what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Jeep Liberty?
Interest of gearbox oil changing Jeep Liberty
There are some interests to change the gearbox of your motor vehicle repeatedly, we will list them and outline them below:
- Over time, the oil will lose its viscosity caused by friction and temperature rise, which will bring about less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will decrease the oil resistance to the engine unit temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, even if you constantly have a quality oil, a gearbox is an element that wears out and releases iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it gathers up too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil change on a Jeep Liberty?
If you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Jeep Liberty or strong> the process is not similar, however, dealers do not give mileage suggestions to change the oil in your gearbox, however when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is wise to change it, in any other case here are the reasons to produce you take into consideration doing this oil change.
Oil change for manual gearbox Jeep Liberty
- Gears are jumping: you are most likely missing oil and you may have a gearbox oil leak, please discover our content on gearbox leaks on Jeep Liberty for more information.
- The gearbox cracks when you change gears: The oil has certainly lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same issue as just before, the oil is absolutely too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil change
- A slow start from the neutral position to the first one: quite often a viscosity issue.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to change gearbox oil of a Jeep Liberty?
Finally, to conclude this content, we will describe you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Jeep Liberty , it’s less difficult than you might think, here are the few guidelines to stick to to do it properly:
- Heat your Jeep Liberty for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will most likely collect filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Replace and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s suggested dose
To discover more tips on the Jeep Liberty, take a look at the Jeep Liberty category.