Some maintenance actions such as changing the engine oil may seem obvious and fundamental, although others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Ford Focus may appear to be less natural. However, produce no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as essential as changing the engine oil. This article content will describe the function of the gearbox oil, then, why it is necessary to change the gearbox of your Ford Focus, and finally, how to change the gearbox oil of a Ford Focus .
Role of gearbox oil on a Ford Focus
So we start our article content with the function of gearbox oil on a Ford Focus. The objective of this short introduction is to produce you understand the interest of this fluid which assures the good working of your car. The gearbox of your car has the mission to demultiply the power transferred by the engine and send it back to your wheels . It is done up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will work with the help of an axle and a differential. All these parts will need to be firmly lubricate to action properly, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures produced by the engine and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is fundamental to the proper performing of the gearbox.
Why replacing the gearbox oil from a Ford Focus?
Now we’ll find out what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Ford Focus?
Interest of gearbox oil changing Ford Focus
There are some interests to change the gearbox of your car frequently, we will list them and detail them below:
- With time, the oil will lose its viscosity due to friction and temperature rise, which will lead to less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will lower the oil resistance to the engine temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, even if you constantly have a quality oil, a gearbox is an element that wears out and creates iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it builds up too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil change on a Ford Focus?
Whether you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Ford Focus or strong> the process is not similar, nevertheless, dealers do not give mileage recommendations to change the oil in your gearbox, however when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is advisable to change it, in any other case here are the causes to produce you think about doing this oil change.
Oil change for manual gearbox Ford Focus
- Gears are jumping: you are likely missing oil and you may have a gearbox oil leak, please find out our article on gearbox leaks on Ford Focus for more info.
- The gearbox cracks when you change gears: The oil has absolutely lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same problem as just before, the oil is undoubtedly too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil change
- A slow start from the neutral position to the first one: quite often a viscosity problem.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to change gearbox oil of a Ford Focus?
At last, to end this article, we will describe you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Ford Focus , it’s easier than you might believe, here are the few guidelines to stick to to do it properly:
- Heat your Ford Focus for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will likely collect filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Change and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s suggested dose
If you wish more tutorials on the Ford Focus, go to our Ford Focus category.