Some routine service actions such as changing the engine oil may seem obvious and very important, while others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Ford Fiesta may seem less natural. However, make no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as necessary as changing the engine oil. This article will show you the purpose of the gearbox oil, then, why it is important to change the gearbox of your Ford Fiesta, and finally, how to change the gearbox oil of a Ford Fiesta .
Purpose of gearbox oil on a Ford Fiesta
So we start our article with the purpose of gearbox oil on a Ford Fiesta. The objective of this short introduction is to make you understand the interest of this fluid which assures the good performing of your car. The gearbox of your car has the objective to demultiply the power transmitted by the engine and send it back to your wheels . It is made up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will function with the help of an axle and a differential. All these parts will need to be highly lubricate to objective properly, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures generated by the engine and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is essential to the proper performing of the gearbox.
Why replacing the gearbox oil from a Ford Fiesta?
Now we’ll find out what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Ford Fiesta?
Benefit of gearbox oil changing Ford Fiesta
There are some interests to change the gearbox of your car regularly, we will list them and detail them below:
- As time passes, the oil will lose its viscosity caused by friction and temperature rise, which will bring about less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will decrease the oil resistance to the engine temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, regardless if you always have a quality oil, a gearbox is an element that wears out and creates iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it gathers up too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil change on a Ford Fiesta?
If you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Ford Fiesta or strong> the process is not the same, however, dealers do not give mileage recommendations to change the oil in your gearbox, nevertheless when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is wise to change it, in any other case here are the factors to make you think about doing this oil change.
Oil change for manual gearbox Ford Fiesta
- Gears are jumping: you are almost certainly missing oil and you may possibly have a gearbox oil leak, please find out our article on gearbox leaks on Ford Fiesta for more information.
- The gearbox cracks when you change gears: The oil has certainly lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same problem as just before, the oil is obviously too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil change
- A slow start from the neutral position to the first one: generally a viscosity problem.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to change gearbox oil of a Ford Fiesta?
At last, to finish this article, we will show you you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Ford Fiesta , it’s much easier than you might think, here are the few actions to stick to to do it properly:
- Heat your Ford Fiesta for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will almost certainly collect filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Replace and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s recommended dose
If you need more guides on the Ford Fiesta, go to our Ford Fiesta category.