Some maintenance actions such as changing the engine unit oil may seem evident and important, while others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Ford Edge may appear to be less automatic. However, produce no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as essential as changing the engine unit oil. This article will show you the function of the gearbox oil, then, why it is vital to change the gearbox of your Ford Edge, and at last, how to change the gearbox oil of a Ford Edge .
Function of gearbox oil on a Ford Edge
So we begin our article with the function of gearbox oil on a Ford Edge. The objective of this short introduction is to produce you understand the benefit of this fluid which assures the good working of your motor vehicle. The gearbox of your car has the mission to demultiply the power transmitted by the engine unit and send it back to your wheels . It is done up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will work with the help of an axle and a differential. All these parts will need to be firmly lubricate to objective accurately, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures produced by the engine unit and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is important to the proper functioning of the gearbox.
Why changing the gearbox oil from a Ford Edge?
Now we’ll find out what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Ford Edge?
Benefit of gearbox oil changing Ford Edge
There are some concerns to change the gearbox of your motor vehicle regularly, we will list them and outline them below:
- With time, the oil will lose its viscosity caused by friction and temperature rise, which will lead to less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will lower the oil resistance to the engine unit temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, even if you constantly have a quality oil, a gearbox is an element that wears out and produces iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it accumulates too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil change on a Ford Edge?
Whether you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Ford Edge or strong> the procedure is not the same, however, dealers do not give mileage recommendations to change the oil in your gearbox, nevertheless when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is beneficial to change it, in any other case here are the reasons to produce you think about doing this oil change.
Oil change for manual gearbox Ford Edge
- Gears are jumping: you are probably missing oil and you may have a gearbox oil leak, please find out our content page on gearbox leaks on Ford Edge for more information.
- The gearbox cracks when you switch gears: The oil has certainly lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same issue as just before, the oil is certainly too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil change
- A slow begin from the neutral position to the first one: often a viscosity issue.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to change gearbox oil of a Ford Edge?
Finally, to conclude this content page, we will show you you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Ford Edge , it’s easier than you might presume, here are the few steps to stick to to do it accurately:
- Heat your Ford Edge for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will probably gather filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Replace and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s suggested dose
If you have any additional questions about the Ford Edge, do not hesitate to consult our Ford Edge category.