Some maintenance actions such as changing the engine unit oil might seem obvious and important, while others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Audi A3 may seem less natural. Nevertheless, produce no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as important as changing the engine unit oil. This guideline will show you the role of the gearbox oil, then, why it is necessary to replace the gearbox of your Audi A3, and at last, how to replace the gearbox oil of a Audi A3 .
Purpose of gearbox oil on a Audi A3
So we start our guideline with the role of gearbox oil on a Audi A3. The objective of this short introduction is to produce you understand the interest of this fluid which ensures the good working of your motor vehicle. The gearbox of your car has the objective to demultiply the power transferred by the engine unit and send it back to your wheels . It is made up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will work with the help of an axle and a differential. All these auto parts will need to be firmly lubricate to objective properly, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures generated by the engine unit and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is fundamental to the correct working of the gearbox.
Why changing the gearbox oil from a Audi A3?
Now we’ll find out what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Audi A3?
Interest of gearbox oil changing Audi A3
There are some interests to replace the gearbox of your motor vehicle repeatedly, we will list them and detail them below:
- After a while, the oil will lose its viscosity because of friction and temperature rise, which will cause less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will decrease the oil resistance to the engine unit temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, even if you always have a quality oil, a gearbox is an component that wears out and creates iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it gathers up too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil replace on a Audi A3?
If you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Audi A3 or strong> the process is not similar, however, dealers do not give mileage suggestions to replace the oil in your gearbox, nevertheless when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is wise to replace it, otherwise here are the reasons to produce you take into consideration doing this oil replace.
Oil replace for manual gearbox Audi A3
- Gears are jumping: you are probably missing oil and you may possibly have a gearbox oil leak, please find out our article on gearbox leaks on Audi A3 for more information.
- The gearbox cracks when you change gears: The oil has undoubtedly lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same issue as just before, the oil is most certainly too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil replace
- A slow start from the neutral position to the first one: often a viscosity issue.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to replace gearbox oil of a Audi A3?
Finally, to finish this article, we will show you you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Audi A3 , it’s less difficult than you might presume, here are the few actions to stick to to do it properly:
- Heat your Audi A3 for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will probably collect filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Replace and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s suggested dose
If you need more tutorials on the Audi A3, go to our Audi A3 category.