Whether for your own security, for roadworthiness testing or to avoid a fine, ensuring that your turn signal bulbs are always working is very important. In reality, bulbs are wearing parts that will surely burn out over the years and as a consequence need to be swapped out. You’re likely on this site because one of your front turn signals is burnt out and you’re questioning how to change the bulb of a front turn signal on your BMW X1, we’ve written and published this document to help you do it by yourself and not have to go to your repair shop. In a first part, we will look at the checking a burnt-out front turn signal bulb on your BMW X1 and in a second part, how to change the front turn signal bulb on your car..
How to find out if the front turn signal bulb on your BMW X1 is burnt out or needs to be changed?
When you drive your motor vehicle you don’t constantly have the opportunity to check all the security equipments of your BMW X1. In reality, you are frequently in a rush and tend to enter into your motor vehicle, make your trip and put it down immediately without taking the time to do an regular check-up. It is as a consequence fundamental to take the time to occasionally check the condition of your headlights and turn signals. It’s quite possible that you have a front turn signal on your BMW X1, but that you didn’t detect it. Here are the two simple options to check if a front turn signal is burnt out or if you need to replace it promptly:
- When you stop, turn on the ignition on your car, then alternately turn on your left and right front turn signals and get out of the car to check that they are functional.
- By hearing to the sound of your blinkers. In reality, there is an audible indicator on each car that alerts you of a front turn indicator bulb burnt out on your BMW X1, you will recognize that the time between each “click” is much closer, this denotes that you will have to change the front turn signal bulb or before. It’s up to you to check and examine which one is burnt out by a visual check as on the first procedure shown above.
You may have an additional bulb to replace, like the one of your low beam or your position lights, don’t hesitate to read our blog posts to help you to conduct this substitution.
Changing the front turn signal bulb on your BMW X1
Now let’s go to the most significant part of this document, how to replace the front turn signal bulb of your BMW X1? You should be aware that this operation is fairly simple, you will need to access, from the inside of your bonnet, through the wheel arch, or through your bumper to your headlight unit, open it and replace the burnt out front turn signal bulb of your BMW X1. If it is a bulb on your rear turn signal, see our specific document. However, here are the details of the actions to follow to be able to conduct this act correctly dependant on the approach you want to adopt.
Change front turn signal bulb on your BMW X1 through the bonnet:
- Open your bonnet and clear access to your headlight pods.
- Use a torx tip to open the headlight unit on your car
- Unscrew the front turn signal bulb from your car by turning it a quarter turn counterclockwise
- Replace the front flasher bulb of your BMW X1 by the new one (be sure to check if it’s an orange or transparent bulb).
- Reassemble and check that the new front turn signal bulb functions.
- Lift your car, and take out the front wheel on the side you want to operate on.
- Take out your wheel arch with a torx bit.
- Go to your headlamp block and replace the front turn signal bulb on your car following the same steps as on the part previously seen.
- Put your BMW X1 on a jack or a candle.
- Remove the screws of the motor shoe of your car(plastic part under your motor) and your shock absorber. Be cautious with the plastic staples which can be delicate.
- Take out your headlight block and replace the front turn indicator bulb of your BMW X1 following the steps seen in the parts seen earlier.
- Put the whole thing back together again.
Change the front turn signal bulb of your BMW X1 through the wheel arch:
This tactic is especially practical when you don’t have enough space in the bonnet to access the front turn signal on your car:
Change the front turn signal bulb of your BMW X1 through the bumper:
On some years or finishes, based on the options the only simple access you will have to replace the front turn signal bulb of your car will be to pass under your front bumper, there are only a few steps that change from the full technique, we will detail them right now:
If you wish more guides on the BMW X1, go to our BMW X1 category.