Newer cars require always more maintenance, nevertheless, there are some more or less essential ones. Today, we will look into a maintenance process that is vital to ensure your safety at the wheel of your car. In reality, we are gonna describe to you how to change the brake pads of your car in a Volkswagen Crafter? To do so , in a 1st step, we are going to see why it is essential to swap the brake pads of your car, in a second part, we are going to see what is the technique to swap the brake pads of your Volkswagen Crafter, and at last, what is the price of this part.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Volkswagen Crafter?
Before we see how to change the brake pads of your car, we will begin our document by explaining you what the task of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Purpose of the brake pads on Volkswagen Crafter
The brake pads on an motor vehicle have a essential task in the proper handling of your Volkswagen Crafter. In reality, they are the ones that will ensure braking efficiency. They are a sort of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Volkswagen Crafter. These parts are wearing parts and consist of a lining that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them occasionally to maintain optimal braking.
When to change the brake pads of your Volkswagen Crafter?
And now we will clarify to you how to know if you need to change the brake pads of your Volkswagen Crafter. Take note that according to the employ you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In reality, if you use your brakes regularly, their lifespan will surely be lowered. We consider that, in most cases, the brake pads of a motor vehicle have a lifespan of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. On the other hand, there are specific signs that should inform you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, check our document on brake vibration on Volkswagen Crafter, to discover the origin of your problem.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these symptoms, do not be reluctant to verify the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by getting rid of the front wheels and checking their condition, or by going directly to a workshop.
How to change the brake pads of my Volkswagen Crafter?
We will now advance to the part you are most interested in, how to swap the brake pads from your Volkswagen Crafter?. Down the page we will detail the basic steps to stick to to change the brake pads of your car correctly:
- Buy brake pads designed to your Volkswagen Crafter, to achieve this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your motor vehicle when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being cautious to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take off the wheels in question.
- Before getting rid of the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to totally retract the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- Generally, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to swap the brake pads of your car and thus be able to remove the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take away the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take away the two old pads and change them with the new brake pads.
- Ensure that they are in the perfect placement before you re-install the brake calipers on your Volkswagen Crafter.
- Remember to end locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads require a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very conscientiously the first 100km and be cautious until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to swap the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Volkswagen Crafter?
At last, last part of our document on the process to swap the brake pads of your Volkswagen Crafter. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Based on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also fluctuate, nevertheless, generally it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specific online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantage of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a car center or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Volkswagen Crafter, do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Crafter category.