Newer cars need always more maintenance, however, there are some more or less imperative ones. In this article content, we will focus on a maintenance process that is needed to ensure your safety at the steering wheel of your car. In fact, we are going to describe to you how to change the brake pads of your car in a Mercedes C class? For this, in a 1st step, we are going to find out why it is imperative to swap the brake pads of your car, in a second section, we are going to find out what is the process to swap the brake pads of your Mercedes C class, and finally, what is the price of this component.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Mercedes C class?
Before we find out how to change the brake pads of your car, we will start our article by describing you what the purpose of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Function of the brake pads on Mercedes C class
The brake pads on an car have a imperative function in the proper handling of your Mercedes C class. In fact, they are the ones that will ensure braking performance. They are a kind of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Mercedes C class. These components are wearing parts and consist of a coating that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them occasionally to maintain best braking.
When to change the brake pads of your Mercedes C class?
And now we will explain to you how to know if you have to change the brake pads of your Mercedes C class. Remember that according to the use you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In fact, if you use your brakes very often, their life expectancy will obviously be lowered. We consider that, in general, the brake pads of a car have a service life of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. However, there are specific indicators that should alarm you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, check our article on brake vibration on Mercedes C class, to locate the origin of your problem.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signs, do not hesitate to check the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by taking out the front wheels and examining their condition, or by going directly to a service area.
How to change the brake pads of my Mercedes C class?
We will now advance to the part you are most focused on, how to swap the brake pads from your Mercedes C class?. Down the page we will describe the basic steps to follow to change the brake pads of your car correctly:
- Buy brake pads adapted to your Mercedes C class, to achieve this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your car when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being cautious to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take off the wheels in question.
- Before taking out the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to entirely retract the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In general, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to swap the brake pads of your car and thus be able to take off the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take out the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take out the two old pads and change them with the new brake pads.
- Ensure that they are in the appropriate spot before you re-install the brake calipers on your Mercedes C class.
- Don’t forget to end locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, think that brake pads need a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very carefully the first 100km and take care until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to swap the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Mercedes C class?
At last, last part of our article on the operation to swap the brake pads of your Mercedes C class. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Dependant on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also fluctuate, however, most of the time it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specific online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantage of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a workshop or specialized shops you should be able to get the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
To find more tips on the Mercedes C class, take a look at the Mercedes C class category.