Most recent cars require always more maintenance, nevertheless, there are some more or less fundamental ones. In this article content, we will look into a maintenance act that is essential to assure your security at the steering wheel of your car. Indeed, we are gonna demonstrate to you how to replace the brake pads of your car in a Land Rover Range Rover? For this, in a first step, we are going to discover why it is fundamental to change the brake pads of your car, in a second part, we are going to discover what is the method to change the brake pads of your Land Rover Range Rover, and to finish, what is the price of this part.
Why changing the brake pads from my Land Rover Range Rover?
Before we discover how to replace the brake pads of your car, we will commence our article content by explaining you what the function of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Purpose of the brake pads on Land Rover Range Rover
The brake pads on an car have a fundamental purpose in the proper handling of your Land Rover Range Rover. Indeed, they are the ones that will assure braking efficacy. They are a sort of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Land Rover Range Rover. These parts are consumables and consist of a coating that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them regularly to preserve optimal braking.
When to replace the brake pads of your Land Rover Range Rover?
And right now we will demonstrate to you how to know if you need to replace the brake pads of your Land Rover Range Rover. Take note that depending on the employ you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. Indeed, if you use your brakes regularly, their life expectancy will surely be decreased. We consider that, in general, the brake pads of a car have a longevity of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. On the other hand, there are several signals that should notify you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, check our article content on brake vibration on Land Rover Range Rover, to find the source of your trouble.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signs, do not hesitate to examine the state of your brake pads yourself, either by taking out the front wheels and checking their state, or by going directly to a garage.
How to replace the brake pads of my Land Rover Range Rover?
We will now move on to the part you are most intrigued by, how to change the brake pads from your Land Rover Range Rover?. Below we will explain the steps to follow to replace the brake pads of your car correctly:
- Purchase brake pads adapted to your Land Rover Range Rover, to get this done use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your car when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being careful to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take out the wheels in question.
- Before taking out the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to entirely retract the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- Generally, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to change the brake pads of your car and thus be able to remove the brake calipers from it.
- Once you remove the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely remove the two old pads and swap them with the brand-new brake pads.
- Make sure that they are in the appropriate position before you re-install the brake calipers on your Land Rover Range Rover.
- Remember to end locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads require a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very carefully the first 100km and take care until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to change the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Land Rover Range Rover?
Finally, last part of our article content on the operation to change the brake pads of your Land Rover Range Rover. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Based on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also fluctuate, nevertheless, in most cases it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specialized online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantages of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a car center or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If you want more tutorials on the Land Rover Range Rover, go to our Land Rover Range Rover category.