Most recent cars require more and more service, however, there are some more or less fundamental ones. In this article , we will concentrate on a service action that is essential to guarantee your safety at the wheel of your car. In reality, we are going to describe to you how to change the brake pads of your car in a Jeep Patriot? For this, in a first step, we are going to find out why it is fundamental to change the brake pads of your car, in a second section, we are going to find out what is the methodology to change the brake pads of your Jeep Patriot, and at last, what is the price of this component.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Jeep Patriot?
Before we find out how to change the brake pads of your car, we will start our document by detailing you what the purpose of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Function of the brake pads on Jeep Patriot
The brake pads on an motor vehicle have a essential purpose in the proper handling of your Jeep Patriot. In reality, they are the ones that will guarantee braking performance. They are a kind of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Jeep Patriot. These parts are consumables and consist of a coating that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them occasionally to maintain optimal braking.
When to change the brake pads of your Jeep Patriot?
And now we will clarify to you how to know if you have to change the brake pads of your Jeep Patriot. Remember that depending on the use you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In reality, if you use your brakes very often, their lifetime will undoubtedly be lowered. We consider that, in general, the brake pads of a motor vehicle have a lifespan of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. However, there are some signals that should alert you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, browse our document on brake vibration on Jeep Patriot, to find the source of your issue.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these symptoms, do not be reluctant to check the state of your brake pads yourself, either by getting rid of the front wheels and checking their state, or by going directly to a mechanic.
How to change the brake pads of my Jeep Patriot?
We will now move on to the section you are most interested in, how to change the brake pads from your Jeep Patriot?. Down the page we will detail the simple steps to follow to change the brake pads of your car properly:
- Purchase brake pads adapted to your Jeep Patriot, to get this done use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your motor vehicle when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being cautious to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Remove the wheels in question.
- Before getting rid of the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to completely retract the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In general, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to change the brake pads of your car and thus be able to take off the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take off the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take off the two old pads and swap them with the new brake pads.
- Ensure they are in the right position before you re-install the brake calipers on your Jeep Patriot.
- Make sure you finish locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, think that brake pads require a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very conscientiously the first 100km and be cautious until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to change the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Jeep Patriot?
At last, last section of our document on the procedure to change the brake pads of your Jeep Patriot. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. According to the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also vary, however, in most cases it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specialized online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The benefit of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a car center or specialized shops you should be able to get the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Jeep Patriot, do not hesitate to consult our Jeep Patriot category.