Modern cars need always more service, on the other hand, there are some more or less fundamental ones. In this article content, we will look at a service action that is essential to assure your security at the wheel of your car. Indeed, we are going to explain to you how to replace the brake pads of your car in a Honda Fit? To do so , in a first step, we are going to discover why it is fundamental to swap the brake pads of your car, in a second section, we are going to discover what is the methodology to swap the brake pads of your Honda Fit, and to finish, what is the price of this part.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Honda Fit?
Before we discover how to replace the brake pads of your car, we will commence our article by describing you what the task of the brake pads is, and when they should be replaced.
Role of the brake pads on Honda Fit
The brake pads on an automobile have a crucial function in the proper handling of your Honda Fit. Indeed, they are the ones that will assure braking efficiency. They are a types of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Honda Fit. These auto parts are consumables and consist of a coating that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them occasionally to keep maximum braking.
When to replace the brake pads of your Honda Fit?
And now we will clarify to you how to know if you have to replace the brake pads of your Honda Fit. Be aware that according to the employ you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. Indeed, if you use your brakes very often, their lifespan will obviously be decreased. We consider that, in general, the brake pads of a automobile have a service life of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. However, there are some symptoms that should inform you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, browse our article on brake vibration on Honda Fit, to locate the cause of your trouble.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these symptoms, do not hesitate to examine the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by getting rid of the front wheels and examining their condition, or by going directly to a workshop.
How to replace the brake pads of my Honda Fit?
We will now advance to the part you are most intrigued by, how to swap the brake pads from your Honda Fit?. Below we will describe the basic steps to follow to replace the brake pads of your car accurately:
- Purchase brake pads designed to your Honda Fit, to accomplish this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your automobile when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being cautious to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take off the wheels in question.
- Before getting rid of the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to totally push the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- Ordinarily, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to swap the brake pads of your car and thus be able to take out the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take off the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take off the two old pads and swap them with the brand-new brake pads.
- Ensure that they are in the correct position before you re-install the brake calipers on your Honda Fit.
- Remember to finish locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads need a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very gently the first 100km and be careful until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to swap the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Honda Fit?
Finally, last part of our article on the operation to swap the brake pads of your Honda Fit. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Depending on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also change, on the other hand, most of the time it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specific online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantage of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a workshop or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If you need more tutorials on the Honda Fit, go to our Honda Fit category.