Modern cars require always more maintenance, however, there are some more or less imperative ones. Today, we will concentrate on a maintenance action that is needed to assure your safety at the wheel of your car. Indeed, we are going to demonstrate to you how to change the brake pads of your car in a Genesis G80? To do so , in a first step, we are going to find out why it is imperative to change the brake pads of your car, in a second section, we are going to find out what is the methodology to change the brake pads of your Genesis G80, and at last, what is the price of this component.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Genesis G80?
Before we find out how to change the brake pads of your car, we will commence our document by explaining you what the purpose of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Function of the brake pads on Genesis G80
The brake pads on an vehicle have a vital function in the proper handling of your Genesis G80. Indeed, they are the ones that will assure braking efficiency. They are a kind of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Genesis G80. These auto parts are consumables and consist of a coating that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of replacing them regularly to keep optimal braking.
When to change the brake pads of your Genesis G80?
And now we will explain to you how to know if you have to change the brake pads of your Genesis G80. Bear in mind that according to the employ you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. Indeed, if you use your brakes very often, their life expectancy will obviously be reduced. We consider that, in general, the brake pads of a vehicle have a longevity of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. On the other hand, there are certain symptoms that should notify you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, check our document on brake vibration on Genesis G80, to locate the origin of your problem.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signs, do not be reluctant to examine the state of your brake pads yourself, either by removing the front wheels and verifying their state, or by going directly to a garage.
How to change the brake pads of my Genesis G80?
We will now go forward to the section you are most focused on, how to change the brake pads from your Genesis G80?. Below we will explain the simple steps to follow to change the brake pads of your car correctly:
- Purchase brake pads adapted to your Genesis G80, to do this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your vehicle when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being careful to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take off the wheels in question.
- Before removing the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to totally retract the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In most cases, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to change the brake pads of your car and thus be able to take out the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take away the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take away the two old pads and swap them with the new brake pads.
- Make certain they are in the right position before you re-install the brake calipers on your Genesis G80.
- Make sure you complete locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads require a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very gently the first 100km and be cautious until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to change the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Genesis G80?
Finally, last section of our document on the procedure to change the brake pads of your Genesis G80. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Depending on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also fluctuate, however, most of the time it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specialized online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantage of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a mechanic or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If you want more guides on the Genesis G80, go to our Genesis G80 category.