Modern cars require more and more maintenance, nevertheless, there are some more or less imperative ones. In this article , we will focus on a maintenance process that is needed to ensure your security at the steering wheel of your car. In reality, we are gonna explain to you how to change the brake pads of your car in a Ford Transit Connect? To do so , in a 1st step, we are going to discover why it is imperative to replace the brake pads of your car, in a second step, we are going to discover what is the process to replace the brake pads of your Ford Transit Connect, and at last, what is the price of this part.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Ford Transit Connect?
Before we discover how to change the brake pads of your car, we will begin our document by explaining you what the role of the brake pads is, and when they should be replaced.
Role of the brake pads on Ford Transit Connect
The brake pads on an car have a vital purpose in the proper handling of your Ford Transit Connect. In reality, they are the ones that will ensure braking efficacy. They are a types of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Ford Transit Connect. These parts are wearing parts and consist of a coating that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them occasionally to maintain best braking.
When to change the brake pads of your Ford Transit Connect?
And right now we will clarify to you how to know if you need to change the brake pads of your Ford Transit Connect. Take notice that dependant on the use you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In reality, if you use your brakes very often, their life expectancy will undoubtedly be decreased. We consider that, in most cases, the brake pads of a car have a longevity of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. However, there are certain indicators that should alarm you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, check our document on brake vibration on Ford Transit Connect, to discover the source of your issue.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signs, do not think twice to verify the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by getting rid of the front wheels and verifying their condition, or by going directly to a mechanic.
How to change the brake pads of my Ford Transit Connect?
We will now advance to the section you are most interested in, how to replace the brake pads from your Ford Transit Connect?. Down the page we will explain the steps to follow to change the brake pads of your car properly:
- Buy brake pads designed to your Ford Transit Connect, to perform this use your car registration to be sure of compatibility with your car when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being careful to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Remove the wheels in question.
- Before getting rid of the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to completely retract the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- Generally, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to replace the brake pads of your car and thus be able to remove the brake calipers from it.
- Once you remove the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely remove the two old pads and swap them with the new brake pads.
- Be certain they are in the ideal spot before you re-install the brake calipers on your Ford Transit Connect.
- Remember to complete locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, think that brake pads require a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very conscientiously the first 100km and be cautious until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to replace the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Ford Transit Connect?
Finally, last section of our document on the process to replace the brake pads of your Ford Transit Connect. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Depending on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also fluctuate, nevertheless, in most cases it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specific online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantage of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a workshop or specialized shops you should be able to get the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If you want more guides on the Ford Transit Connect, go to our Ford Transit Connect category.