Newer cars need always more service, however, there are some more or less crucial ones. Today, we will look at a service act that is vital to assure your security at the steering wheel of your car. Indeed, we are gonna explain to you how to change the brake pads of your car in a Cadillac CTS? For this, in a 1st step, we are going to discover why it is crucial to swap the brake pads of your car, in a second section, we are going to discover what is the technique to swap the brake pads of your Cadillac CTS, and at last, what is the price of this component.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Cadillac CTS?
Before we discover how to change the brake pads of your car, we will begin our article by detailing you what the role of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Role of the brake pads on Cadillac CTS
The brake pads on an motor vehicle have a fundamental role in the proper handling of your Cadillac CTS. Indeed, they are the ones that will assure braking efficiency. They are a kind of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Cadillac CTS. These components are consumables and consist of a coating that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them on a regular basis to preserve maximum braking.
When to change the brake pads of your Cadillac CTS?
And now we will clarify to you how to know if you have to change the brake pads of your Cadillac CTS. Bear in mind that according to the employ you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. Indeed, if you use your brakes very often, their lifespan will obviously be lowered. We consider that, in most cases, the brake pads of a motor vehicle have a lifespan of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. Nevertheless, there are specified indicators that should warn you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, check our article on brake vibration on Cadillac CTS, to discover the source of your issue.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signs, do not think twice to verify the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by removing the front wheels and examining their condition, or by going directly to a workshop.
How to change the brake pads of my Cadillac CTS?
We will now move on to the part you are most intrigued by, how to swap the brake pads from your Cadillac CTS?. Below we will explain the steps to stick to to change the brake pads of your car properly:
- Purchase brake pads designed to your Cadillac CTS, to do this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your motor vehicle when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being cautious to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take out the wheels in question.
- Before removing the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to entirely retract the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- Generally, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to swap the brake pads of your car and thus be able to take out the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take away the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take away the two old pads and replace them with the brand-new brake pads.
- Make certain they are in the perfect position before you re-install the brake calipers on your Cadillac CTS.
- Make sure you end locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, think that brake pads need a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very carefully the first 100km and be careful until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to swap the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Cadillac CTS?
Finally, last part of our article on the process to swap the brake pads of your Cadillac CTS. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Depending on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also vary, however, most of the time it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specific online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantages of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a mechanic or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Cadillac CTS, do not hesitate to consult our Cadillac CTS category.