Most recent cars need always more maintenance, however, there are some more or less crucial ones. Today, we will concentrate on a maintenance action that is essential to assure your safety at the steering wheel of your car. In fact, we are going to explain to you how to replace the brake pads of your car in a Bmw X2? For this, in a 1st step, we are going to find out why it is crucial to change the brake pads of your car, in a second section, we are going to find out what is the technique to change the brake pads of your Bmw X2, and to finish, what is the price of this part.
Why changing the brake pads from my Bmw X2?
Before we find out how to replace the brake pads of your car, we will begin our article by describing you what the purpose of the brake pads is, and when they should be replaced.
Role of the brake pads on Bmw X2
The brake pads on an automobile have a fundamental function in the proper handling of your Bmw X2. In fact, they are the ones that will assure braking capability. They are a form of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Bmw X2. These auto parts are consumables and consist of a lining that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them occasionally to keep ideal braking.
When to replace the brake pads of your Bmw X2?
And right now we will explain to you how to know if you have to replace the brake pads of your Bmw X2. Take note that dependant on the use you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In fact, if you use your brakes frequently, their lifespan will surely be reduced. We consider that, in most cases, the brake pads of a automobile have a longevity of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. On the other hand, there are some indicators that should notify you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, check our article on brake vibration on Bmw X2, to find the source of your trouble.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signs, do not be reluctant to examine the state of your brake pads yourself, either by taking out the front wheels and checking their state, or by going directly to a garage.
How to replace the brake pads of my Bmw X2?
We will now go forward to the section you are most excited about, how to change the brake pads from your Bmw X2?. Below we will detail the guidelines to follow to replace the brake pads of your car efficiently:
- Buy brake pads designed to your Bmw X2, to perform this use your car registration to be sure of compatibility with your automobile when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being careful to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take off the wheels in question.
- Before taking out the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to entirely push the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In general, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to change the brake pads of your car and thus be able to take out the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take out the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take out the two old pads and change them with the brand-new brake pads.
- Make sure they are in the right spot before you re-install the brake calipers on your Bmw X2.
- Don’t forget to complete locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads need a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very carefully the first 100km and be careful until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to change the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Bmw X2?
At last, last section of our article on the procedure to change the brake pads of your Bmw X2. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Based on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also fluctuate, however, in most cases it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specific online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantages of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a workshop or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
To get more tips on the Bmw X2, take a look at the Bmw X2 category.