Modern cars necessitate always more maintenance, on the other hand, there are some more or less important ones. In this article content, we will concentrate on a maintenance action that is needed to guarantee your safety at the steering wheel of your car. In reality, we are gonna describe to you how to change the brake pads of your car in a BMW X1? For this, in a 1st step, we are going to discover why it is important to replace the brake pads of your car, in a second part, we are going to discover what is the process to replace the brake pads of your BMW X1, and finally, what is the price of this part.
Why changing the brake pads from my BMW X1?
Before we discover how to change the brake pads of your car, we will begin our article by explaining you what the job of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Function of the brake pads on BMW X1
The brake pads on an automobile have a vital function in the proper handling of your BMW X1. In reality, they are the ones that will guarantee braking capability. They are a kind of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your BMW X1. These parts are consumables and consist of a lining that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them regularly to keep ideal braking.
When to change the brake pads of your BMW X1?
And right now we will explain to you how to know if you have to change the brake pads of your BMW X1. Bear in mind that dependant on the use you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In reality, if you use your brakes regularly, their lifespan will surely be lowered. We consider that, in general, the brake pads of a automobile have a service life of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. However, there are several symptoms that should notify you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, browse our article on brake vibration on BMW X1, to locate the source of your trouble.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signals, do not be reluctant to examine the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by taking out the front wheels and verifying their condition, or by going directly to a garage area.
How to change the brake pads of my BMW X1?
We will now advance to the section you are most focused on, how to replace the brake pads from your BMW X1?. Down below we will describe the guidelines to follow to change the brake pads of your car correctly:
- Buy brake pads adapted to your BMW X1, to achieve this use your car registration to be sure of compatibility with your automobile when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being careful to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take out the wheels in question.
- Before taking out the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to totally push the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In most cases, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to replace the brake pads of your car and thus be able to remove the brake calipers from it.
- Once you remove the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely remove the two old pads and swap them with the new brake pads.
- Make certain they are in the appropriate placement before you re-install the brake calipers on your BMW X1.
- Don’t forget to end locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads necessitate a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very gently the first 100km and take care until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to replace the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an BMW X1?
At last, last section of our article on the process to replace the brake pads of your BMW X1. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Dependant on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also change, on the other hand, in most cases it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specialized online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantages of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a car center or specialized shops you should be able to get the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
To find more tips on the BMW X1, take a look at the BMW X1 category.