Modern cars need always more service, nevertheless, there are some more or less important ones. Today, we will look into a service act that is vital to guarantee your security at the steering wheel of your car. Indeed, we are going to describe to you how to replace the brake pads of your car in a Bmw Serie 1? For this, in a 1st step, we are going to discover why it is important to replace the brake pads of your car, in a second step, we are going to discover what is the process to replace the brake pads of your Bmw Serie 1, and to finish, what is the price of this component.
Why changing the brake pads from my Bmw Serie 1?
Before we discover how to replace the brake pads of your car, we will start our document by detailing you what the function of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Purpose of the brake pads on Bmw Serie 1
The brake pads on an vehicle have a vital role in the proper handling of your Bmw Serie 1. Indeed, they are the ones that will guarantee braking efficiency. They are a sort of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Bmw Serie 1. These parts are consumables and consist of a lining that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them regularly to keep ideal braking.
When to replace the brake pads of your Bmw Serie 1?
And right now we will clarify to you how to know if you have to replace the brake pads of your Bmw Serie 1. Be aware that based on the use you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. Indeed, if you use your brakes very often, their life expectancy will undoubtedly be decreased. We consider that, in general, the brake pads of a vehicle have a service life of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. Nevertheless, there are specific signs that should inform you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, browse our document on brake vibration on Bmw Serie 1, to find the origin of your issue.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signals, do not hesitate to check the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by taking out the front wheels and checking their condition, or by going directly to a garage.
How to replace the brake pads of my Bmw Serie 1?
We will now advance to the section you are most excited about, how to replace the brake pads from your Bmw Serie 1?. Down the page we will explain the basic steps to follow to replace the brake pads of your car efficiently:
- Buy brake pads adapted to your Bmw Serie 1, to perform this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your vehicle when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being cautious to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Remove the wheels in question.
- Before taking out the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to entirely push the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In general, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to replace the brake pads of your car and thus be able to remove the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take out the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take out the two old pads and change them with the brand-new brake pads.
- Make sure they are in the appropriate placement before you re-install the brake calipers on your Bmw Serie 1.
- Make sure you end locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads need a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very carefully the first 100km and take care until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to replace the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Bmw Serie 1?
Finally, last section of our document on the procedure to replace the brake pads of your Bmw Serie 1. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Dependant on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also fluctuate, nevertheless, generally it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specialized online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The benefit of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a workshop or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
If you want more tutorials on the Bmw Serie 1, go to our Bmw Serie 1 category.