Most recent cars need always more service, on the other hand, there are some more or less imperative ones. In this article , we will concentrate on a service action that is vital to assure your security at the steering wheel of your car. In fact, we are going to explain to you how to replace the brake pads of your car in a BMW 5 Series? To do so , in a 1st step, we are going to see why it is imperative to swap the brake pads of your car, in a second section, we are going to see what is the process to swap the brake pads of your BMW 5 Series, and to conclude, what is the price of this component.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my BMW 5 Series?
Before we see how to replace the brake pads of your car, we will begin our article by describing you what the purpose of the brake pads is, and when they should be changed.
Function of the brake pads on BMW 5 Series
The brake pads on an vehicle have a vital purpose in the proper handling of your BMW 5 Series. In fact, they are the ones that will assure braking performance. They are a kind of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your BMW 5 Series. These auto parts are consumables and consist of a coating that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them on a regular basis to preserve maximum braking.
When to replace the brake pads of your BMW 5 Series?
And right now we will demonstrate to you how to know if you need to replace the brake pads of your BMW 5 Series. Remember that according to the use you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In fact, if you use your brakes very often, their lifetime will undoubtedly be lowered. We consider that, in most cases, the brake pads of a vehicle have a service life of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. Nevertheless, there are specified indicators that should alarm you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, check our article on brake vibration on BMW 5 Series, to locate the cause of your trouble.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these symptoms, do not be reluctant to verify the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by taking out the front wheels and verifying their condition, or by going directly to a service area.
How to replace the brake pads of my BMW 5 Series?
We will now go forward to the part you are most excited about, how to swap the brake pads from your BMW 5 Series?. Down the page we will detail the guidelines to stick to to replace the brake pads of your car accurately:
- Buy brake pads adapted to your BMW 5 Series, to perform this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your vehicle when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being careful to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Remove the wheels in question.
- Before taking out the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to totally retract the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In general, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to swap the brake pads of your car and thus be able to remove the brake calipers from it.
- Once you remove the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely remove the two old pads and replace them with the brand-new brake pads.
- Ensure they are in the correct position before you re-install the brake calipers on your BMW 5 Series.
- Make sure to finish locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads need a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very carefully the first 100km and be cautious until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to swap the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an BMW 5 Series?
At last, last part of our article on the operation to swap the brake pads of your BMW 5 Series. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. Depending on the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also change, on the other hand, most of the time it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specialized online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantages of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a workshop or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
To find more tips on the BMW 5 Series, take a look at the BMW 5 Series category.