Modern cars require always more maintenance, on the other hand, there are some more or less important ones. Today, we will look at a maintenance action that is fundamental to guarantee your security at the steering wheel of your car. In fact, we are gonna explain to you how to replace the brake pads of your car in a Audi Q7? To do so , in a 1st step, we are going to find out why it is important to swap the brake pads of your car, in a second part, we are going to find out what is the technique to swap the brake pads of your Audi Q7, and at last, what is the price of this component.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Audi Q7?
Before we find out how to replace the brake pads of your car, we will commence our document by describing you what the purpose of the brake pads is, and when they should be replaced.
Role of the brake pads on Audi Q7
The brake pads on an car have a imperative purpose in the proper handling of your Audi Q7. In fact, they are the ones that will guarantee braking efficacy. They are a sort of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Audi Q7. These components are consumables and consist of a lining that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of changing them on a regular basis to keep ideal braking.
When to replace the brake pads of your Audi Q7?
And now we will clarify to you how to know if you need to replace the brake pads of your Audi Q7. Remember that depending on the employ you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In fact, if you use your brakes regularly, their life expectancy will surely be reduced. We consider that, in general, the brake pads of a car have a service life of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. On the other hand, there are some symptoms that should inform you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, read our document on brake vibration on Audi Q7, to locate the cause of your issue.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signals, do not hesitate to examine the state of your brake pads yourself, either by removing the front wheels and checking their state, or by going directly to a workshop.
How to replace the brake pads of my Audi Q7?
We will now advance to the part you are most focused on, how to swap the brake pads from your Audi Q7?. Down below we will describe the simple steps to stick to to replace the brake pads of your car correctly:
- Buy brake pads adapted to your Audi Q7, to accomplish this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your car when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being cautious to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take off the wheels in question.
- Before removing the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to entirely retract the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In most cases, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to swap the brake pads of your car and thus be able to take off the brake calipers from it.
- Once you take off the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely take off the two old pads and swap them with the new brake pads.
- Be sure they are in the ideal placement before you re-install the brake calipers on your Audi Q7.
- Make sure you complete locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, take into account that brake pads require a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very carefully the first 100km and take care until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to swap the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Audi Q7?
At last, last part of our document on the process to swap the brake pads of your Audi Q7. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. According to the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also vary, on the other hand, in most cases it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specialized online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The advantage of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a car center or specialized shops you should be able to find the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
To get more tips on the Audi Q7, take a look at the Audi Q7 category.