Most recent cars require always more service, on the other hand, there are some more or less imperative ones. In this article , we will focus on a service action that is vital to guarantee your safety at the steering wheel of your car. In fact, we are gonna demonstrate to you how to replace the brake pads of your car in a Acura TLX? To do so , in a 1st step, we are going to discover why it is imperative to swap the brake pads of your car, in a second part, we are going to discover what is the method to swap the brake pads of your Acura TLX, and finally, what is the price of this part.
For what reason changing the brake pads from my Acura TLX?
Before we discover how to replace the brake pads of your car, we will commence our content by detailing you what the role of the brake pads is, and when they should be replaced.
Role of the brake pads on Acura TLX
The brake pads on an motor vehicle have a imperative task in the proper handling of your Acura TLX. In fact, they are the ones that will guarantee braking capability. They are a sort of pairs of metal pads that will pinch the brake discs when you press the brake pedal to slow down and stop your Acura TLX. These components are wearing parts and consist of a coating that will wear with time and use, hence the interest of replacing them occasionally to keep optimal braking.
When to replace the brake pads of your Acura TLX?
And right now we will explain to you how to know if you need to replace the brake pads of your Acura TLX. Take note that depending on the employ you have of your car (city or highway for example), the wear of your brake pads will not be the same at all. In fact, if you use your brakes regularly, their lifetime will surely be decreased. We consider that, in most cases, the brake pads of a motor vehicle have a longevity of about 10,000 to 30,000 kilometres. On the other hand, there are several symptoms that should alert you to the wear of your car’s brake pads:
- A squeaking sound.
- Much longer braking distance.
- Brake pedal vibration: If this is your case, but your brake pads are in good condition, browse our content on brake vibration on Acura TLX, to discover the cause of your trouble.
- A brake pedal that’s too hard or too soft…
If you have any of these signals, do not think twice to verify the condition of your brake pads yourself, either by removing the front wheels and examining their condition, or by going directly to a garage.
How to replace the brake pads of my Acura TLX?
We will now go forward to the part you are most intrigued by, how to swap the brake pads from your Acura TLX?. Below we will describe the steps to follow to replace the brake pads of your car correctly:
- Buy brake pads designed to your Acura TLX, to perform this use your car registration to be sure of suitability with your motor vehicle when ordering on a specialized website or in a shop.
- Put your car on stands (being cautious to lock the handbrake and engage a gear and unlock the bolts of the wheels you want to act on before you lift the car).
- Take out the wheels in question.
- Before removing the clamp from your calipers, think about using a flat screwdriver to lever between the pad and the disc to entirely push the piston of your calipers, otherwise you will not be able to put the new brake pads.
- In general, thanks to a big Torx tip, you’ll have 2 screws to remove to be able to swap the brake pads of your car and thus be able to take out the brake calipers from it.
- Once you remove the clamp from your calipers, you will be able to serenely remove the two old pads and change them with the brand-new brake pads.
- Ensure they are in the ideal spot before you re-install the brake calipers on your Acura TLX.
- Make sure you end locking your wheels on the ground, otherwise your transmission will be damaged.
- To finish, think that brake pads require a running-in period of 500 to 1000km, so you will have to drive very gently the first 100km and take care until you reach 500km.
That’s it, now you know how to swap the brake pads on your car.
What is the price of brake pads for an Acura TLX?
Finally, last part of our content on the process to swap the brake pads of your Acura TLX. It’s just to give you an idea of the price of the brake pads of your car. According to the finish of your car (sport or not), the pads will be different and therefore the price will also fluctuate, on the other hand, most of the time it will take between 20 and 40 € for a set of 4 brake pads at a specialized online site like Oscaro, you can find here their entire offer of brake pads for your car. The benefit of this type of site is the choice, the price and the after-sales service you get. Finally, if you go to a car center or specialized shops you should be able to get the set of pads between 30 and 60€.
To find more tips on the Acura TLX, take a look at the Acura TLX category.