Vehicle mirrors are one of the most important safety features that you must always make sure are working properly, because it is your safety, the safety of other road users and your wallet because you can be fined if you have a defective mirror. This is the case that interests us today, you have suffered a collision, one of your mirrors is damaged and you are now wondering how to change a side mirror on your car? You are at the right place, we will detail all the steps to help you change it correctly. First, we’ll look at what attracts you here, namely how to change a complete side mirror on your car, and then how to change only the mirror glass.
How to change a complete side mirror on my car?
Let’s go, we start this guide with the part that probably interests you the most, namely how to change a side mirror on my car? This procedure is quite simple and you should be able to do it yourself with a minimum of tooling. You will just need to remove the plastic cover inside your car’s interior, it is usually clipped on the door. For power mirrors, remember to unplug the power connector that you will see behind the cover. Finally, you will have to unscrew the screws that hold the mirror, usually there are three, a simple screwdriver should do the trick to allow you to pass this step of changing the side mirror of your vehicle. Remember to keep the mirror on the outside of your carwhen unscrewing the last screw, so that it does not fall out. Finally to install your new side mirror, you will simply have to fit the new one in the 3 screw axes, screw it back in, reconnect the electricity if it is electric and finally reposition the plastic cover. That’s it, you’ve just learned how to change the side mirror of your car, you see it wasn’t that complicated.
How do you just change the window of the side mirror of my car?
In case you only want to change the quick release of the side mirror of your car, you will first need to identify the type of locking of your mirror. To do this, the simplest technique is to look at the fixing system on the replacement glass.
Side mirror glass replacing: tongue-locking glass
- If you want to change the side mirror glass of your car and it uses a tongue and groove system, you are lucky, it is the easiest system to remove. All you have to do is to use a plastic object to remove the window “by force”.
- To reposition it, do the same and push it back into place with force. To check that it is well positioned, move it around.
Side mirror glass replacing: metal spring locking glass
- With this locking system, to change the side mirror glass of your car you will need to locate the locking spring, turn the glass in the opposite direction to give you access to it, disassemble it.
- Remember to keep the spring because it is possible that you have not supplied it with your new window, replace it on your new window, dismantle the old one paying attention to the electric cables in case of defrosting system
- Follow the positioning guide (notch) and gently push it into its housing so as not to break it. Check that it is well positioned by moving it around.
Side mirror glass replacing: swivel tray locking glass
- You can find the location of the swivel plate of the window to be changed on the side mirror of your car, generally it is at the bottom behind the window
- Turn the glass in the opposite direction to give you easier access to the device and using a screwdriver, rotate the mechanism.
- If your mirror is equipped with a defrosting system, do the reverse operation to reattach it and check that it is well fixed.