If you feel you can’t see as well at night, or you feel you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these cases, there’s only one component of your vehicle to blame – your headlights, as well identified as high beams. Although this adjustment might seem easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a complete adjustment is much more complex than this simple manipulation, and in this article, we are going to find out how to adjust the headlights of your volvo v70? To do this, first we will find out why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your volvo v70.
Why adjust the headlights of your volvo v70?
So let’s start our article with the interest of adjusting the headlights of your volvo v70. For many of us, our headlights are adjusted well enough, and they appear to light up enough after dark. Sadly this is not always the circumstance and looking at this setting, either because the headlights on your volvo v70 are not bright enough, or because you have the impression that they are too weak is a wise decision .
Adjusting the high beams of your volvo v70 for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a volvo v70 must be conducted for a basic safety reason. If it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In actual fact, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss out an obstacle while traveling, or to predict a curve badly. Alternatively, if your headlights are too strong, regardless if you are expected to switch to low beam lights when you pass a car, the time required to make this switch will generally expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your volvo v70 . It is therefore necessary for others as well as for you to have an ideal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a volvo v70 for legal reasons
Furthermore to safety, there is a law that regulates the power, the adjustment of motor vehicle headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation regulates their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be identical to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a volvo v70?
We will now proceed to the part that interests you the most in this article, how to adjust the headlights of his volvo v70? This setting might seem a bit complicated, but by simply following the guidance you should have the ability to complete it without too much concern.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a volvo v70
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your vehicle to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to set up:
- Place your vehicle on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure attentively.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all unnecessary weight from the car, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his volvo v70
Once your car is in place, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your vehicle up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your hood, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical control of the headlights of your volvo v70 (they are in general marked, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side handles the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or another thing to hide the projector on which you are not making the correction.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal correction, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line noted on the wall
- With regard to vertical correction, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly down below.
- Once finished, check that the headlights setting of your volvo v70 is logical, do not think twice to check it after you have driven it, occasionally it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your volvo v70, please read our article on this subject.
If you wish more guides on the volvo v70, go to our volvo v70 category.