If you experience you can’t see as well at night, or you experience you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these situations, there’s only one part of your car responsible – your headlights, also often known as high beams. Although this adjustment may seem easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more technical than this basic manipulation, and in this post, we are going to discover how to adjust the headlights of your Toyota Yaris? To achieve this, first we will discover why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Toyota Yaris.
Why adjust the headlights of your Toyota Yaris?
So let’s begin our content with the interest of adjusting the headlights of your Toyota Yaris. For the majority of us, our headlights are adjusted well enough, and they seem to light up enough after dark. Unfortunately this is not always the case and checking this setting, either because the headlights on your Toyota Yaris are not bright enough, or because you have the feeling that they are too weak is a wise decision .
Adjusting the high beams of your Toyota Yaris for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a Toyota Yaris must be conducted for a simple safety reason. Regardless it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. Indeed, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss an obstacle driving, or to anticipate a curve badly. However, if your headlights are too powerful, regardless if you are supposed to switch to low beam lights when you pass a vehicle, the time needed to make this change will generally expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Toyota Yaris . It is consequently essential for others as well as for you to have an ideal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Toyota Yaris for legal reasons
In addition to safety, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it suggests: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be identical to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Toyota Yaris?
We will now move on to the section that concerns you the most in this post, how to adjust the headlights of his Toyota Yaris? This setting may seem a bit difficult, but by simply following the guidelines you should have the ability to complete it without too much trouble.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Toyota Yaris
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your car to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to executed:
- Place your car on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure carefully.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all unnecessary weight from the vehicle, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Toyota Yaris
Once your car is in position, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are horizontal. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to follow:
- Open your bonnet, find the screws for horizontal and vertical modification of the headlights of your Toyota Yaris (they are generally marked, and those on top must adjust the verticality and the one on the side manages the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the projector on which you are not making the adjustment.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal adjustment, you should have the most intense part of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical adjustment, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once finished, check that the headlights setting of your Toyota Yaris is coherent, do not hesitate to check it after you have driven it, sometimes it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Toyota Yaris, please read our content on this subject.
If you have any further questions about the Toyota Yaris, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota Yaris category.