Whether you experience you can’t see as well at night, or you experience you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these circumstances, there’s only one component of your car at fault – your headlights, also known as high beams. Although this adjustment may seem easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a complete adjustment is much more technical than this elementary manipulation, and in this article, we are going to discover how to adjust the headlights of your Toyota Prius? To achieve this, first we will discover why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Toyota Prius.
Why adjust the headlights of your Toyota Prius?
So let’s start our article with the interest of adjusting the headlights of your Toyota Prius. For most of us, our headlights are adjusted good enough, and they seem to light up enough at nighttime. Sadly this is not always the case and examining this setting, either because the headlights on your Toyota Prius are not bright enough, or because you have the impression that they are too weak is a wise decision .
Adjusting the high beams of your Toyota Prius for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a Toyota Prius must be done for a simple security motive. Regardless it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In actual fact, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss out an obstacle driving, or to anticipate a curve badly. However, if your headlights are too strong, even if you are expected to switch to low beam lights when you pass a car, the time needed to make this switch will generally expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Toyota Prius . It is therefore essential for others as well as for you to have an optimal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Toyota Prius for legal reasons
Furthermore to security, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of motor vehicle headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at minimum 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be identical to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Toyota Prius?
We will now move on to the section that interests you the most in this article, how to adjust the headlights of his Toyota Prius? This adjustment may seem a bit complicated, but by simply following the guidelines you should have the ability to complete it without too much trouble.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Toyota Prius
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your car to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to put in place:
- Place your car on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure cautiously.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all unnecessary weight from the automobile, just one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Toyota Prius
Once your car is in position, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are horizontal. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your bonnet, locate the screws for horizontal and vertical control of the headlights of your Toyota Prius (they are usually marked, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side handles the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the projector on which you are not making the adjustment.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal adjustment, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line noted on the wall
- With regard to vertical adjustment, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly down below.
- Once finished, verify that the headlights setting of your Toyota Prius is logical, do not think twice to verify it after you have driven it, sometimes it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Toyota Prius, please read our article on this subject.
To discover more tips on the Toyota Prius, take a look at the Toyota Prius category.