If you experience you can’t see as well at night, or you experience you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these circumstances, there’s only one component of your vehicle responsible – your headlights, as well named high beams. Nevertheless this adjustment might seem easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more complex than this simple manipulation, and in this article, we are going to find out how to adjust the headlights of your Toyota Corolla? To get this done, first we will find out why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Toyota Corolla.
Why adjust the headlights of your Toyota Corolla?
So let’s start our content page with the interest of adjusting the headlights of your Toyota Corolla. For the majority of us, our headlights are adjusted sufficiently, and they appear to light up enough at night. However this is not always the case and looking at this setting, either because the headlights on your Toyota Corolla are not bright enough, or because you have the sensation that they are too weak is a good idea .
Adjusting the high beams of your Toyota Corolla for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a Toyota Corolla must be made for a very easy safety motive. Whether it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In actual fact, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to fail to see an obstacle while traveling, or to anticipate a curve badly. On the other hand, if your headlights are too strong, regardless if you are meant to switch to low beam lights when you pass a car, the time required to make this switch will most of the time expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Toyota Corolla . It is consequently important for others as well as for you to have an ideal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Toyota Corolla for legal reasons
Furthermore to safety, there is a law that regulates the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation regulates their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be identical to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Toyota Corolla?
We will now move on to the part that interests you the most in this article, how to adjust the headlights of his Toyota Corolla? This adjustment might seem a bit complex, but by following the instructions you should be able to complete it without too much problem.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Toyota Corolla
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your vehicle to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to set up:
- Place your vehicle on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Verify your tire pressure cautiously.
- Verify that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Take out all unnecessary weight from the automobile, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Toyota Corolla
Once your vehicle is in place, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Verify with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your vehicle up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the procedure here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your bonnet, locate the screws for horizontal and vertical control of the headlights of your Toyota Corolla (they are usually designated, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side handles the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or different things to hide the projector on which you are not making the correction.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal correction, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical correction, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once finished, verify that the headlights setting of your Toyota Corolla is coherent, do not hesitate to verify it after you have driven it, occasionally it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Toyota Corolla, please read our content page on this subject.
To get more tips on the Toyota Corolla, take a look at the Toyota Corolla category.