Whether you experience you can’t see as well at night, or you experience you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these situations, there’s only one component of your car guilty – your headlights, also often known as high beams. Although this adjustment might seem easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more technical than this elementary manipulation, and in this article, we are going to find out how to adjust the headlights of your Subaru Impreza? To do this, first we will find out why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Subaru Impreza.
Why adjust the headlights of your Subaru Impreza?
So let’s begin our content with the interest of adjusting the headlights of your Subaru Impreza. For many people, our headlights are adjusted good enough, and they seem to light up enough after dark. However this is not constantly the circumstance and checking this setting, either because the headlights on your Subaru Impreza are not bright enough, or because you have the impression that they are too weak is a wise decision .
Adjusting the high beams of your Subaru Impreza for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a Subaru Impreza must be finished for a very easy safety explanation. Regardless it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. Indeed, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to fail to see an obstacle on the road, or to predict a curve badly. On the other hand, if your headlights are too powerful, regardless if you are expected to switch to low beam lights when you cross a vehicle, the time required to make this switch will generally expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Subaru Impreza . It is therefore necessary for others as well as for you to have an ideal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Subaru Impreza for legal reasons
Furthermore to safety, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it suggests: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be identical to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Subaru Impreza?
We will now go forward to the part that concerns you the most in this article, how to adjust the headlights of his Subaru Impreza? This setting might seem a bit difficult, but by following the guidelines you should have the ability to do it without too much concern.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Subaru Impreza
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your car to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to put in place:
- Place your car on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure cautiously.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Take out all unnecessary weight from the vehicle, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Subaru Impreza
Once your car is in position, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are horizontal. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your hood, find the screws for horizontal and vertical modification of the headlights of your Subaru Impreza (they are in general marked, and those on top must adjust the verticality and the one on the side controls the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the projector on which you are not making the correction.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal correction, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line noted on the wall
- With regard to vertical correction, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly down below.
- Once finished, check that the headlights setting of your Subaru Impreza is coherent, do not think twice to check it after you have driven it, oftentimes it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Subaru Impreza, please read our content on this subject.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Subaru Impreza, do not hesitate to consult our Subaru Impreza category.