Whether you feel you can’t see as well at night, or you feel you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these situations, there’s only one part of your vehicle to take responsibility – your headlights, also known as high beams. Nevertheless this adjustment may appear easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a complete adjustment is much more technical than this simple manipulation, and in this post, we are going to see how to adjust the headlights of your Renault Clio 3? To do this, first we will see why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Renault Clio 3.
Why adjust the headlights of your Renault Clio 3?
So let’s start our content page with the interest of adjusting the headlights of your Renault Clio 3. For many of us, our headlights are adjusted sufficiently, and they appear to light up enough at night. Regrettably this is not constantly the circumstance and checking this setting, either because the headlights on your Renault Clio 3 are not bright enough, or because you have the sensation that they are too weak is a good idea .
Adjusting the high beams of your Renault Clio 3 for safety
First of all, the headlight adjustment of a Renault Clio 3 must be made for a very easy safety reason. Whether it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In truth, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to fail to see an obstacle on your way, or to anticipate a curve badly. However, if your headlights are too strong, regardless if you are supposed to switch to low beam lights when you pass a car, the time needed to make this change will generally expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Renault Clio 3 . It is consequently necessary for others as well as for you to have an optimal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Renault Clio 3 for legal reasons
Furthermore to safety, there is a law that regulates the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it suggests: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation regulates their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be equivalent to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Renault Clio 3?
We will now go forward to the section that interests you the most in this post, how to adjust the headlights of his Renault Clio 3? This adjustment may appear a bit complicated, but by following the recommendations you should be able to complete it without too much issue.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Renault Clio 3
First of all, you’ll need to prepare your vehicle to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to put in place:
- Place your vehicle on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Verify your tire pressure carefully.
- Verify that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all unneeded weight from the automobile, just one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Renault Clio 3
Once your vehicle is in place, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Verify with a level that both parts of the cross are horizontal. Then back your vehicle up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to follow:
- Open your bonnet, locate the screws for horizontal and vertical control of the headlights of your Renault Clio 3 (they are usually marked, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side adjusts the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the projector on which you are not making the adjustment.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal adjustment, you should have the most intense part of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical adjustment, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once finished, check that the headlights setting of your Renault Clio 3 is coherent, do not hesitate to check it after you have driven it, in some cases it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Renault Clio 3, please go through our content page on this subject.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Renault Clio 3, do not hesitate to consult our Renault Clio 3 category.