Whether you experience you can’t see as well at night, or you experience you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these circumstances, there’s only one component of your vehicle to blame – your headlights, as well known as high beams. Although this adjustment may seem easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a complete adjustment is much more technical than this elementary manipulation, and in this article, we are going to discover how to adjust the headlights of your Mercedes Benz GL Class? To achieve this, first we will discover why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Mercedes Benz GL Class.
Why adjust the headlights of your Mercedes Benz GL Class?
So let’s begin our article with the interest of adjusting the headlights of your Mercedes Benz GL Class. For many of us, our headlights are adjusted good enough, and they seem to light up enough through the night. Unfortunately this is not constantly the case and checking this setting, either because the headlights on your Mercedes Benz GL Class are not bright enough, or because you have the feeling that they are too weak is a great idea .
Adjusting the high beams of your Mercedes Benz GL Class for safety
First of all, the headlight adjustment of a Mercedes Benz GL Class must be conducted for a simple security motive. Regardless it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. Indeed, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss out an obstacle on your way, or to anticipate a curve badly. On the other hand, if your headlights are too strong, regardless if you are expected to switch to low beam lights when you pass a car, the time required to make this switch will generally expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Mercedes Benz GL Class . It is therefore necessary for others as well as for you to have an ideal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Mercedes Benz GL Class for legal reasons
In addition to security, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be matching to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Mercedes Benz GL Class?
We will now move on to the part that interests you the most in this article, how to adjust the headlights of his Mercedes Benz GL Class? This adjustment may seem a bit complicated, but by following the guidelines you should be able to do it without too much issue.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Mercedes Benz GL Class
First of all, you’ll need to prepare your vehicle to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to set up:
- Place your vehicle on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Verify your tire pressure carefully.
- Verify that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Take out all unneeded weight from the car, just one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Mercedes Benz GL Class
Once your car is in position, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Verify with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your vehicle up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your hood, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical modification of the headlights of your Mercedes Benz GL Class (they are in general marked, and those on top must adjust the verticality and the one on the side handles the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the projector on which you are not making the adjustment.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal adjustment, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical adjustment, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once finished, check that the headlights setting of your Mercedes Benz GL Class is logical, do not hesitate to check it after you have driven it, occasionally it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Mercedes Benz GL Class, please go through our article on this subject.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Mercedes Benz GL Class, do not hesitate to consult our Mercedes Benz GL Class category.