If you feel you can’t see as well at night, or you feel you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these circumstances, there’s only one component of your vehicle to take responsibility – your headlights, also named high beams. Nevertheless this adjustment may seem easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a complete adjustment is much more technical than this elementary manipulation, and in this article, we are going to discover how to adjust the headlights of your Jeep Compass? To get this done, first we will discover why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Jeep Compass.
Why adjust the headlights of your Jeep Compass?
So let’s start our article with the interest of adjusting the headlights of your Jeep Compass. For most of us, our headlights are adjusted sufficiently, and they appear to light up enough at nighttime. Unfortunately this is not always the circumstance and checking this setting, either because the headlights on your Jeep Compass are not bright enough, or because you have the feeling that they are too weak is a great idea .
Adjusting the high beams of your Jeep Compass for safety
First of all, the headlight adjustment of a Jeep Compass must be achieved for a simple security motive. If it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In truth, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss out an obstacle while traveling, or to predict a curve badly. However, if your headlights are too powerful, even if you are meant to switch to low beam lights when you pass a car, the time needed to make this switch will most of the time expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Jeep Compass . It is therefore important for others as well as for you to have an optimal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Jeep Compass for legal reasons
Furthermore to security, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it suggests: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be very same to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Jeep Compass?
We will now move on to the part that interests you the most in this article, how to adjust the headlights of his Jeep Compass? This setting may seem a bit difficult, but by following the instructions you should be able to do it without too much concern.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Jeep Compass
First of all, you’ll need to prepare your vehicle to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to executed:
- Place your vehicle on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure cautiously.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Take out all unnecessary weight from the car, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Jeep Compass
Once your vehicle is in position, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are horizontal. Then back your vehicle up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the procedure here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your bonnet, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical adjustment of the headlights of your Jeep Compass (they are in most cases designated, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side controls the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or different things to hide the projector on which you are not making the adjustment.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal adjustment, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line noted on the wall
- With regard to vertical adjustment, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly down below.
- Once finished, check that the headlights setting of your Jeep Compass is logical, do not hesitate to check it after you have driven it, in some cases it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Jeep Compass, please go through our article on this subject matter.
If you have any further questions about the Jeep Compass, do not hesitate to consult our Jeep Compass category.