If you feel you can’t see as well at night, or you feel you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these cases, there’s only one part of your car at fault – your headlights, as well called high beams. Nevertheless this adjustment may appear easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more complex than this elementary manipulation, and in this post, we are going to see how to adjust the headlights of your Ford Transit? To achieve this, first we will see why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Ford Transit.
Why adjust the headlights of your Ford Transit?
So let’s begin our content page with the interest of adjusting the headlights of your Ford Transit. For the majority of us, our headlights are adjusted well enough, and they appear to light up enough at night. However this is not constantly the case and looking at this setting, either because the headlights on your Ford Transit are not bright enough, or because you have the sensation that they are too weak is a wise decision .
Adjusting the high beams of your Ford Transit for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a Ford Transit must be done for a basic security explanation. Whether it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In actual fact, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss an obstacle driving, or to predict a curve badly. On the other hand, if your headlights are too strong, regardless if you are supposed to switch to low beam lights when you cross a vehicle, the time needed to make this switch will most of the time expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Ford Transit . It is consequently essential for others as well as for you to have an optimal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Ford Transit for legal reasons
In addition to security, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it suggests: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be very same to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Ford Transit?
We will now move on to the part that interests you the most in this post, how to adjust the headlights of his Ford Transit? This adjustment may appear a bit difficult, but by simply following the recommendations you should be able to accomplish it without too much trouble.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Ford Transit
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your car to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to put in place:
- Place your car on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure attentively.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Take out all unneeded weight from the vehicle, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Ford Transit
Once your vehicle is in place, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are horizontal. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the procedure here are the steps to follow:
- Open your hood, find the screws for horizontal and vertical adjustment of the headlights of your Ford Transit (they are usually marked, and those on top must adjust the verticality and the one on the side controls the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or another thing to hide the projector on which you are not making the correction.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal correction, you should have the most intense part of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line noted on the wall
- With regard to vertical correction, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once finished, verify that the headlights setting of your Ford Transit is logical, do not hesitate to verify it after you have driven it, sometimes it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Ford Transit, please read our content page on this subject.
If you need more tutorials on the Ford Transit, go to our Ford Transit category.