Whether you feel you can’t see as well at night, or you feel you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these cases, there’s only one component of your car guilty – your headlights, also often known as high beams. Nevertheless this adjustment may seem easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a complete adjustment is much more technical than this basic manipulation, and in this post, we are going to find out how to adjust the headlights of your Ford Mondeo? To do this, first we will find out why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Ford Mondeo.
Why adjust the headlights of your Ford Mondeo?
So let’s begin our content page with the benefit of adjusting the headlights of your Ford Mondeo. For the majority of us, our headlights are adjusted well enough, and they appear to light up enough after dark. Regrettably this is not constantly the case and examining this setting, either because the headlights on your Ford Mondeo are not bright enough, or because you have the feeling that they are too weak is a good idea .
Adjusting the high beams of your Ford Mondeo for safety
First of all, the headlight adjustment of a Ford Mondeo must be done for a basic safety reason. Whether it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In truth, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to ignore an obstacle while traveling, or to anticipate a curve badly. Alternatively, if your headlights are too strong, regardless if you are expected to switch to low beam lights when you cross a car, the time needed to make this switch will most of the time expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Ford Mondeo . It is consequently essential for others as well as for you to have an optimal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Ford Mondeo for legal reasons
In addition to safety, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at minimum 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be identical to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Ford Mondeo?
We will now proceed to the part that interests you the most in this post, how to adjust the headlights of his Ford Mondeo? This setting may seem a bit complicated, but by following the recommendations you should have the ability to accomplish it without too much trouble.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Ford Mondeo
First of all, you’ll need to prepare your car to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to set up:
- Place your car on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure attentively.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Take out all needless weight from the vehicle, just one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Ford Mondeo
Once your vehicle is in position, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the procedure here are the steps to follow:
- Open your hood, locate the screws for horizontal and vertical control of the headlights of your Ford Mondeo (they are usually marked, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side handles the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the projector on which you are not making the correction.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal correction, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical correction, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly down below.
- Once finished, verify that the headlights setting of your Ford Mondeo is logical, do not hesitate to verify it after you have driven it, occasionally it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Ford Mondeo, please read our content page on this subject matter.
If you wish more tutorials on the Ford Mondeo, go to our Ford Mondeo category.