Whether you feel you can’t see as well at night, or you feel you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these circumstances, there’s only one component of your car at fault – your headlights, as well known as high beams. Although this adjustment may appear easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more technical than this simple manipulation, and in this post, we are going to see how to adjust the headlights of your Citroen Ds3? To do this, first we will see why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Citroen Ds3.
Why adjust the headlights of your Citroen Ds3?
So let’s start our content page with the benefit of adjusting the headlights of your Citroen Ds3. For most people, our headlights are adjusted sufficiently, and they appear to light up enough after dark. Sadly this is not always the case and checking this setting, either because the headlights on your Citroen Ds3 are not bright enough, or because you have the sensation that they are too weak is a wise decision .
Adjusting the high beams of your Citroen Ds3 for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a Citroen Ds3 must be made for a simple security explanation. Whether it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In truth, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss out an obstacle on your way, or to anticipate a curve badly. On the other hand, if your headlights are too strong, regardless if you are meant to switch to low beam lights when you pass a vehicle, the time needed to make this change will most of the time expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Citroen Ds3 . It is therefore necessary for others as well as for you to have an optimal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Citroen Ds3 for legal reasons
Furthermore to security, there is a law that regulates the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation regulates their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be very same to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Citroen Ds3?
We will now go forward to the section that interests you the most in this post, how to adjust the headlights of his Citroen Ds3? This adjustment may appear a bit complicated, but by following the instructions you should have the ability to accomplish it without too much problem.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Citroen Ds3
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your car to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to executed:
- Place your car on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure carefully.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Take out all unnecessary weight from the car, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Citroen Ds3
Once your car is in place, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to follow:
- Open your hood, find the screws for horizontal and vertical modification of the headlights of your Citroen Ds3 (they are usually marked, and those on top must adjust the verticality and the one on the side manages the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or different things to hide the projector on which you are not making the modification.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal modification, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical modification, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly down below.
- Once finished, verify that the headlights setting of your Citroen Ds3 is coherent, do not hesitate to verify it after you have driven it, often it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Citroen Ds3, please go through our content page on this subject matter.
To discover more tips on the Citroen Ds3, take a look at the Citroen Ds3 category.