If you feel you can’t see as well at night, or you feel you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these circumstances, there’s only one part of your vehicle to take responsibility – your headlights, as well called high beams. Nevertheless this adjustment may appear easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more complex than this basic manipulation, and in this article, we are going to discover how to adjust the headlights of your Bmw Serie 3? To get this done, first we will discover why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Bmw Serie 3.
Why adjust the headlights of your Bmw Serie 3?
So let’s begin our content with the benefit of adjusting the headlights of your Bmw Serie 3. For many of us, our headlights are adjusted sufficiently, and they appear to light up enough at night. Sadly this is not constantly the circumstance and looking at this setting, either because the headlights on your Bmw Serie 3 are not bright enough, or because you have the sensation that they are too weak is a great idea .
Adjusting the high beams of your Bmw Serie 3 for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a Bmw Serie 3 must be carried out for a simple security reason. If it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In actual fact, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss out an obstacle driving, or to anticipate a curve badly. However, if your headlights are too powerful, even if you are supposed to switch to low beam lights when you pass a vehicle, the time needed to make this change will most of the time expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Bmw Serie 3 . It is therefore necessary for others as well as for you to have an ideal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Bmw Serie 3 for legal reasons
In addition to security, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of motor vehicle headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it suggests: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at minimum 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be identical to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Bmw Serie 3?
We will now proceed to the section that interests you the most in this article, how to adjust the headlights of his Bmw Serie 3? This setting may appear a bit difficult, but by simply following the guidelines you should have the ability to perform it without too much trouble.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Bmw Serie 3
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your vehicle to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to executed:
- Place your vehicle on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure attentively.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all unneeded weight from the car, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Bmw Serie 3
Once your car is in position, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are horizontal. Then back your vehicle up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the procedure here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your hood, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical adjustment of the headlights of your Bmw Serie 3 (they are generally marked, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side controls the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the projector on which you are not making the modification.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal modification, you should have the most intense part of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical modification, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once finished, verify that the headlights setting of your Bmw Serie 3 is coherent, do not think twice to verify it after you have driven it, oftentimes it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Bmw Serie 3, please go through our content on this subject.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Bmw Serie 3, do not hesitate to consult our Bmw Serie 3 category.