Whether you experience you can’t see as well at night, or you experience you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these scenarios, there’s only one component of your car to blame – your headlights, also known as high beams. Nevertheless this adjustment may appear easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more technical than this elementary manipulation, and in this post, we are going to see how to adjust the headlights of your Audi S4? To get this done, first we will see why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Audi S4.
Why adjust the headlights of your Audi S4?
So let’s begin our content page with the benefit of adjusting the headlights of your Audi S4. For many people, our headlights are adjusted good enough, and they seem to light up enough at nighttime. Regrettably this is not always the circumstance and examining this setting, either because the headlights on your Audi S4 are not bright enough, or because you have the feeling that they are too weak is a great idea .
Adjusting the high beams of your Audi S4 for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a Audi S4 must be achieved for a basic security motive. Whether it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. Obviously, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss an obstacle on the road, or to anticipate a curve badly. Alternatively, if your headlights are too powerful, regardless if you are meant to switch to low beam lights when you pass a vehicle, the time needed to make this change will generally expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Audi S4 . It is therefore necessary for others as well as for you to have an ideal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Audi S4 for legal reasons
In addition to security, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of motor vehicle headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be identical to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Audi S4?
We will now move on to the section that interests you the most in this post, how to adjust the headlights of his Audi S4? This setting may appear a bit complex, but by following the guidelines you should be able to complete it without too much problem.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Audi S4
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your car to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to set up:
- Place your car on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure carefully.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all needless weight from the automobile, just one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Audi S4
Once your vehicle is in position, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are horizontal. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your bonnet, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical modification of the headlights of your Audi S4 (they are in most cases designated, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side manages the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or another thing to hide the projector on which you are not making the modification.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal modification, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical modification, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly down below.
- Once finished, verify that the headlights setting of your Audi S4 is logical, do not hesitate to verify it after you have driven it, sometimes it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Audi S4, please browse our content page on this subject matter.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Audi S4, do not hesitate to consult our Audi S4 category.