If you experience you can’t see as well at night, or you experience you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these scenarios, there’s only one component of your vehicle guilty – your headlights, as well named high beams. Nevertheless this adjustment may appear easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a complete adjustment is much more technical than this basic manipulation, and in this post, we are going to discover how to adjust the headlights of your Acura ILX? To achieve this, first we will discover why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Acura ILX.
Why adjust the headlights of your Acura ILX?
So let’s start our content with the benefit of adjusting the headlights of your Acura ILX. For many of us, our headlights are adjusted sufficiently, and they appear to light up enough during the night. Unfortunately this is not always the circumstance and looking at this setting, either because the headlights on your Acura ILX are not bright enough, or because you have the impression that they are too weak is a good idea .
Adjusting the high beams of your Acura ILX for safety
First of all, the headlight adjustment of a Acura ILX must be achieved for a very easy security reason. Regardless it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In fact, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss an obstacle on your way, or to anticipate a curve badly. On the other hand, if your headlights are too powerful, regardless if you are expected to switch to low beam lights when you cross a vehicle, the time required to make this change will generally expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Acura ILX . It is therefore essential for others as well as for you to have an ideal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Acura ILX for legal reasons
Furthermore to security, there is a law that regulates the power, the adjustment of motor vehicle headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it suggests: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation regulates their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be identical to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Acura ILX?
We will now proceed to the part that interests you the most in this post, how to adjust the headlights of his Acura ILX? This setting may appear a bit complex, but by simply following the guidelines you should have the ability to perform it without too much problem.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Acura ILX
First of all, you’ll need to prepare your vehicle to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to executed:
- Place your vehicle on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure carefully.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all unneeded weight from the vehicle, just one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Acura ILX
Once your car is in position, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your vehicle up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your hood, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical modification of the headlights of your Acura ILX (they are generally marked, and those on top must adjust the verticality and the one on the side adjusts the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the projector on which you are not making the correction.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal correction, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line noted on the wall
- With regard to vertical correction, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once finished, check that the headlights setting of your Acura ILX is logical, do not hesitate to check it after you have driven it, in some cases it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Acura ILX, please browse our content on this subject.
To find more tips on the Acura ILX, take a look at the Acura ILX category.