Your car’s handbrake is a required basic safety feature according to the highway code, in fact , this aims to stop your Volvo XC90, even over a slight slope. It must be in addition to the main brake system controls. It is also possible that with time the cable system of the hand brake will relax and you will not really pass the technical control or you may feel that it is actually no longer blocking your car. To cope with these problems, we will look at how to adjust the hand brake on your Volvo XC90 . To achieve this, first we will see the adjustment of your manual handbrake on Volvo XC90 , after that, in a second step, how to adjust an automatic handbrake, and then finally the price of the service performed by a professional.
Adjusting a manual handbrake on Volvo XC90?
Thus we start out our article with the hand brake adjustment of a Volvo XC90 in its manual version. This kind of version performs in a basic way having a system of cable and screws that allow you to manage the tension from the device and so to modify the stroke from the lever of your handbrake. To act on it you must act on these kinds of screws in order to stretch the handbrake cable of your Volvo XC90 . In any case, just before adjusting the hand brake, you must make sure that your back wheels aren’t blocked throughout the adjustment. Make sure you find below the detailed method to carry out this kind of intervention:
- In the level of the handbrake, remove the plastic console that covers it using the torx screws and clips.
- Once performed, you should see a trapdoor on your handbrake, open it up to see the screw and cable system.
- You need to locate the locknuts and loosen them with a wrench tool to allow you to change the cable pressure.
- Now screw on the lock nuts on both sides, make sure you make the exact changes on both sides to keep a balanced brake, and make sure that the hand brake handle of your Volvo XC90 has a stroke of about 3 notches.
- Tighten the locknuts and test out the locking of the tires of your car, if it’s good you can reassemble the set, otherwise tighten again the tightening screws until you get an optimal configuration
If you don’t have access to the handbrake flap of your Volvo XC90, the adjustment will be precisely the same however it will be done by passing below your car with the level of the handbrake handle. Make sure place your car on the stand just before any actions.
How do I adjust the automatic handbrake of my own Volvo XC90?
Second approach to handbrake adjustment on Volvo XC90 , this is an automatic handbrake, unlike the manual one, this place is done directly on the brake drums or perhaps calipers, and is also meant to adapt automatically for the wear of your brake shoes or disc brake pads. It may be that if you shortly have to acquire brake pads, the handbrake will lose power, listed below are the steps to take to examine if the strain of your handbrake is the appropriate one:
- Take note that an automatic handbrake can not be modified directly because it is likely to adapt on its own to the have on of the disc brake pads or shoes of your Volvo XC90.
- You can nonetheless examine that the system is functioning properly by simply putting the vehicle on the stand and examining by driving under the car that the pads are still in good functioning order.
- For drum brakes it will be required to take apart the brakes to examine your the shoes, we all advise you to have it performed by a professional.
- Make sure to replace your disc brake pads if you need to.
What is the price of adjusting the handbrake of Volvo XC90 by a professional?
Finally, if you do not feel comfortable with this procedure, especially since it concerns a security element of your car, namely the adjustment from the handbrake of your Volvo XC90 , we give you advice to go to a repair shop who are able to adjust the handbrake for your about fifty euros . In case you have problems with vibrations when braking on Volvo XC90, do not think twice to consult our article which relates to this trouble.
To get more tips on the Volvo XC90, take a look at the Volvo XC90 category.